LegacyGT.com

Clutch Diameter Size?

So i know there are a lot of clutch threads already started. I have searched for the better part of the morning for an answer to my question but have found nothing.

Basically this is the problem, my 05' died yesterday while my wive was driving (so unfortunately i don't know the sounds that were had). Basically i checked out the car and i suspecting the TOB is shot. After doing some research here, I've learned that this is a problem with these cars.

After learning the symptoms of the TOB, i can slightly remember a time a few months ago when i noticed a slight whine coming from the tranny when I'd push in the clutch pedal. But my wife has been driving the car daily (I'm on my motorcycle), so she hasn't been telling me of issues the car may have been having. I guess yesterday she noticed the pedal was really soft and had almost no resistance. There was also a lot of vibration in the pedal. (All of this she told me AFTER the car was toast)

Anyway, basically i know i need to open it up an look around to see the damage. I am comfortable doing this and i will most likely order a replacement clutch kit online and install it myself. So here comes the question:

Does anyone know what particular size the clutch disc size has to be for the GT's? I have found kits that say the disc size is 8-7/8 inches in diameter, also also kits that say 9-1/16. Can either of these work? or do i need a particular one?

I read a post where some one says the EXEDY FJK1001FW kit works great and that size is 9-1/16. So should i go with that size?

If i can use the 8-7/8 size, i can get a kit that includes the sleeve for the snout.

I will have to open the car to be sure i need the sleeve, but I'm just curious as to what size would work.

So does anybody know which size is the right one? or does it matter?

Thanks

Not about the size.

Most of us order a 06 WRX single mass flywheel and the clutch of choice to fit that.

You can call the guys at AZPinstall.com and talk with them, They help out on here a lot for free.

Fred Beans Subaru (a Vendor here) also has all the pices you'll need. You may want to get the TSK3 TOB kit and the 50+ torx and new bolts from them.

You can read through some of the DIY post and Transmission forum and see any tips we have posted. I just got done with my tranny R&R a 2000 miles ago.

If you have the tools it is a ok job.

I like my Spec 2+ clutch. Not sure your wife every day but my GF drives the car ok and hasn't said anything about the clutch being heavy. It's a bit stronger then my 09 SpecB but that much harder.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

DMFW, you'll want to get that out of there.

My Spec clutch came form JSC Speed, back in June 07. They are also a vendor on here.

I have the Spec LWFW and 2+ clutch in my 05 wagon. it has 74,000+ miles on it and still grabs like new. It kind of spun the tires yesterday...by accident....yea sure.

For you I'd say look at the Spec2 clutch.

I'm sure the vendor you call will have recommendations too. All the clutches are good, just decide your you plan to do witht he car.

IMO do not put a oem unit back in the car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived