LegacyGT.com

How long did your OEM battery last?

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have found in the past that a battery lasts so many months, + or - minus 2-3 months. Also, I have had better luck with OEM batteries than aftermarket batteries. I have a '92 Q-45 that will go thru aftermarket batteries every 2 years while the OEM lasts 4 years (bought new, learned the hard way)

OEM costs a little more vs aftermarket batteries. Since they last longer the OEM battery are cheaper over the life of the battery. For me the cost is not the primary issue, I do not like to be stranded with a dead battery, which is why I try to replace them BEFORE they give it up.

Still got it. 53K miles. Not original owner here but I can tell it's still original. Seems my experiencefrom other vehicles that about 5 years is the life of a battery. I'll probably replace it later this year before it decides to leave me stranded.

On the OEM battery in the LGT which was produced June 2004(purchased July 2005).

Also on the OEM battery for my 04 WRX produced 6/2003 and purchased 6/2004. The WRX battery is apparently at 65% whatever that means as a dealer tested it during an oil change for the upsell.

Do aftermarket batteries typically last this long too?

I have an 06 OB XT which I purchased in August 06. I just got back from a nine-day vacation and the battery died while in the airport parking lot. Luckily simple boost got it going again.

There was some power in the battery as the dome lights worked, the radio worked and the power door lock worked - but not enough to start the car.

I have a few questions: (1) What, if anything, can the dealership do? (2) Has anyone had this problem (non-start after more than week of no driving)? (3) Could this be a problem that is not battery related? If so, what?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Lou

Do aftermarket batteries typically last this long too?

Yes they do if you are knowledgeable when you purchase. When the clerk hands you the battery you must first look it over for any signs of damage or leaks, then you must find the date code on the battery before you fork over your money. If the date code indicates the battery is over 3 months or more old say no thanks and leave. You also should verify that the CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) and RC (Reserve Capacity) match the old dealer one in your car. People tend to go to aftermarket places and let the guy behind the counter dictate what battery they should buy and walk out of there with a dud or a battery that doesn't match their car. Dealership batteries tend to avoid this and are usually very fresh.

Most of the batteries in the USA are made by Johnson Controls, including dealership batteries ;)

I have noticed that Costco (Kirkland Signature brand) and Advanced Auto (Titanium brand) keep their Johnson Control batteries very fresh on the shelves.

My OEM battery lasted just under a year before it started leaking severely enough to start eating through the battery tie down, requiring both battery and tie down to be replaced. (11mo, ~11600 miles)

The replacement has a date sticker of 02/09 on it, and indicates it's warrantied for 85 months. I'm guessing they're pretty good batteries, aside from failures like I encountered.

Archived