LegacyGT.com

Garnet Red = Cop Bait? Need feedback.

Red cars get more speeding tickets!  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Red cars get more speeding tickets!

• Agree - they get more tickets
    • Does not make a difference
    • Disagree - they get less tickets

I've pretty much decided to buy a Legacy GT Limited Sedan 5EAT (with spoiler). But choosing a color is driving me nuts... I don't want the dark blue or black because they show dirt to much. I don't like white. And, the silver is nice but it it just doesn't grab me when it's on the Sedan (looks nice on the Wagon). So that leaves Atlantic Blue Pearl and Garnet Red Pearl. The Atlantic Blue is very nice, but the Garnet Red reaches out and grabs my tender parts! :) And that's strange, because I've only had one red car (actually maroon) and that was 40 years ago. But the biggest issue with the Red is how much attention it will get from the local gendarmes. The GT is fast and does very well at high speeds. (I've test driven one over 90. At that speed, it felt as good as any BMW I've ever driven.) So... I'd like your opinions. For the Garnet Red owners, have you been pulled over more? More tickets? Am I being overly concerned? Please give me feedback. Thanks and regards, Dan. p.s. I thought a poll might help quantify things. Is it worded OK? Changes?

Personally I love the Atlantic Blue, but the red doesn't look bad and if that's what grabs you, I say go for it. Life's too short to let "The Man" dictate the color you get! ;P I think its often more the car model than the color that matters as far as being cop magnets. I got pulled over more times in my mustang than in all the other vehicles I have owned combined, and it was metallic gray.

Just like all of the Legacy colors, it varies quite a bit depending on the lighting conditions. The car may look a little maroon at night under the street lights, but it's a nice bright red in the sun. I've taken a few longer trips at above the speed limit, so far no tickets. Chris S.

In my own subjective opinion, Garnet Red is the nicest colour. Hence the choice of my red wagon. However it does show dirt a lot, almost as much as my previous car which was black. I've always liked red cars in general and not just Subaru's garnet red. If you're speeding, you're bound to get caught in a speed trap regardless of the color, it's not about the color but about paying attention and anticipating speed traps.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

[quote name='iamEJ25']dude, the garnet red looks maroon anyway. and b/w the ABP and GRP, id get the GRP. looks much better. and if you buy a California Duster, it'll take 3 minutes to wipe dirt off teh regal blue or black, the two colors the LGT looks good in...(and white)[/quote] Not true...under very low lighting it comes maroonish, but more like a deep, bloodish red. Anyways, I love GRP. I've never been pulled over in it... yet... Don't believe the "red cars get more tickets" hype. You'll get pulled no matter what color you drive if you drive stupid. :P Go with the color that grabs your private parts! 8)

[quote]Don't believe the "red cars get more tickets" hype. You'll get pulled no matter what color you drive if you drive stupid.[/quote] U THINK? heh just kiddin....color does matter cause i know how much attention "rally blue pearl" got from the police...if your speeding side by side with another car.....1 is silver 1 is red....the cop will most likely go for the red 1....(just speakin from expierience)

[quote name='KayGT'][quote]Don't believe the "red cars get more tickets" hype. You'll get pulled no matter what color you drive if you drive stupid.[/quote] U THINK? heh just kiddin....color does matter cause i know how much attention "rally blue pearl" got from the police...if your speeding side by side with another car.....1 is silver 1 is red....the cop will most likely go for the red 1....(just speakin from expierience)[/quote] Highly doubt that, but believe what you will...this is not my first red car and I have never been singled out because of my car's color.

My opinion is that not getting a certain color because you think it will get too much attention from the cops is being a bit paranoid. First of all, it's a 4-door Subaru, not a Ferrari. Just the nature of the car itself tends to blend into traffic. Second of all, if you are driving over 90 on public roads on a test drive of someone else's car, you deserve to get pulled over. :x -Nick

[quote name='Nick']Second of all, if you are driving over 90 on public roads on a test drive of someone else's car, you deserve to get pulled over. :x -Nick[/quote] Nick, I wasn't doing 90 on the public road. It was just the entrance ramp. :D If I hadn't shut it down, it would have been over 100 when I hit the freeway. And, I watched the tach; it never went over 4,000 rpm. And finally, the salesman was sitting beside me; he urged me to "let it out"! Normally, I don't drive much past 80 on the freeway. The problem with the Legacy GT is that it handles high speed very well. Unlike other cars (including my Audi), it wants to run. So I have to watch the LGT very closely. It will make me do do bad things! :twisted: Regards, Dan.

I would of ordered the "red" if it didn't look kinda "orange" in the sunlight. Especially after a couple years of fading, I'm sure the "red" will look way to "orange" for me. But as far as the law is concerned, they don't care what color car you drive, if you are speeding, they'll give you a ticket. But without a doubt, a "flashy" color catches your eye more, and therefore possibly the police officers eye as well.. If they can pick you out in a crowd easier, you might get targeted more.

FWIW I've driven a white car for 10 years and only been pulled over twice. Having said that, I doubt the color had anything to do with it.. I'm a habitual speeder with a radar detector, but I try to speed smartly. I always stay in the non-passing lane when not passing, I keep alert and on the watch for cops and I try to drive in a way that doesn't draw attention to me. I also try not to speed very much at night. Keep an eye on your mirrors, I can't believe how many people get pulled over by being paced by a cop (Learn the headlight pattern of Crown Vics, Impalas, Camaros, etc.) The two times I've been pulled over (only ticketed once) was when I wasn't following my own rules (once at night, and once not paying as much attention as I should have). Sure, my radar detector has saved my butt many times, but there have been plenty where I flew right by the cop and he didn't bat an eyelash.. --E

[quote name='Driver72']I would of ordered the "red" if it didn't look kinda "orange" in the sunlight. Especially after a couple years of fading, I'm sure the "red" will look way to "orange" for me. But as far as the law is concerned, they don't care what color car you drive, if you are speeding, they'll give you a ticket. But without a doubt, a "flashy" color catches your eye more, and therefore possibly the police officers eye as well.. If they can pick you out in a crowd easier, you might get targeted more.[/quote] I guess my color perception is off or soemthing because it doesn't look at all orange to me...

I don't think it matters. Like it was said before, if you fly past a cop, the color of your car probably won't matter. And, since it's not a super bright red, it's less attention grabbing. But, the Atlantic Blue is a very nice color as well. :D

[quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='Driver72']I would of ordered the "red" if it didn't look kinda "orange" in the sunlight. Especially after a couple years of fading, I'm sure the "red" will look way to "orange" for me. But as far as the law is concerned, they don't care what color car you drive, if you are speeding, they'll give you a ticket. But without a doubt, a "flashy" color catches your eye more, and therefore possibly the police officers eye as well.. If they can pick you out in a crowd easier, you might get targeted more.[/quote] I guess my color perception is off or soemthing because it doesn't look at all orange to me...[/quote] Go look at one in the bright sunlight. I test drove a "garnet red" version and parked it up against a new Volvo S40 T5 in a parking lot to do a walk around. Next to the pure red of that Volvo, the Legacy GT looked kinda orangish-red. And when red fades, it turns even more orange. It is a nice looking color though, but the orange tint turned me away.

[quote name='red beast'] [img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-10/423426/paint.jpg[/img][/quote] Looks red to me! I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Garnet Red LGT Ltd! Now do I get the spoiler or not? Wife says yes! What do you think? Over the top or no? 8) Regards, Dan.

Having cars of all colours including red, I dont think its going to make that much difference unless u can make the thing invisable, then again the invisable paint wouldnt take to the number plate and u would still get booked ... LOL Adam.

Archived