LegacyGT.com

2005 Outback 3.0R Alternator Woes

Posting for a friend who is having difficulties after changing the alternator in his Outback: (copied & pasted from his thread on another site):

So I just changed my alternator out on my 05 Outback L.L. Bean (H6) because it was whining really bad. I also changed out the idler pulley too because it was also getting pretty loud. Construction went well, except for the fact that the first alternator I put in was clicking very badly and after a few seconds, my check engine light came on, battery light came on and the cruise control light was flashing. I shut the car off and counted to 10! (temper control) I called up Advance Auto Parts and told them the alternator was bad and they quickly got another one coming from another store.

When I took the original alternator out of the car, I had to pry the 3 prong, green harness out of the hole with a screw driver because it just wouldn't budge. I think I may have damaged the plug itself. So I'm guessing the first alternator I put in was bad partially because of that, as well as the clicking?

So I now have the second new alternator in plus the new idler pulley and a new belt. My question is - is it possible to just buy a new 3 prong signal wire harness pigtail to just solder a new one in there? I don't want to plug in that same harness and have it not work, then have to pry it out again. So I would rather just have a new plug in there. Any suggestions as to where to look for the new harness? Thanks guys!

Archived