LegacyGT.com

Launch control....anyone?

shtbxr22

I have yet to see one in action. If you do this I'd like to see how it works.

Usually it's just a second stage rev limiter that holds rpm while not in motion to a set launch rpm (usually user defined, say 4500 rpm). I had this on my dsm through DSMLink and it also had an antilag feature to spool the turbo up at the line. (aka building 5-10 psi sitting at the line waiting for the lights to drop)

Unless you're building a drag car I would highly recommend against it, recipe for some grenaded transmissions.

-Steve

i have a few friends that have these...not on legacys...they use them exclusively at the track, cars are daily driven except in winter months...not a recipe for a grenaded tranny, however, it does put more wear n tear on it...

The OS patch works great but I did not like LC or FFS so I eventually removed the patch. You wouldn't want to use it anywhere but the dragstrip and I had slower 60's with it than without. I think if I had enough runs and enough tolerance for broken parts I could have improved on my launches, but in the end not worth the time/cost to try to shave my usual 1.8s launches to 1.7s launches.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

There is actually a whole thread on this in the transmission section. Cobb made an announcement thread that has a ton of information.

Best,

C.H.

Thanks, but I have no interest in using an access port. I am opensource tuned, however I will check this stuff out as there may be something worthwhile.

i think he is referring to an opensource patch...

yes

Planning on doing a lot of drag racing?

-Steve

yes

I have yet to see one in action. If you do this I'd like to see how it works.

okie dokie

ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-BOOM!

pay to play......another useless post. expected

Usually it's just a second stage rev limiter that holds rpm while not in motion to a set launch rpm (usually user defined, say 4500 rpm). I had this on my dsm through DSMLink and it also had an antilag feature to spool the turbo up at the line. (aka building 5-10 psi sitting at the line waiting for the lights to drop)

Unless you're building a drag car I would highly recommend against it, recipe for some grenaded transmissions.

-Steve

It's my daily, and will see some drag use. hopefully the 6 speed will be the insurance I need.

Damn glass gears. If I had a six speed swap I might try it.

:)

i have a few friends that have these...not on legacys...they use them exclusively at the track, cars are daily driven except in winter months...not a recipe for a grenaded tranny, however, it does put more wear n tear on it...

Noted

The OP does have the 6 spd. I'm interested in the LC patch, but I haven't found one freely available to test. If anyone would like to share an opensource LC patch for testing on an '08 spec.B, PM me.

If I get it done, I wouldn't be against letting you try it.

The OS patch works great but I did not like LC or FFS so I eventually removed the patch. You wouldn't want to use it anywhere but the dragstrip and I had slower 60's with it than without. I think if I had enough runs and enough tolerance for broken parts I could have improved on my launches, but in the end not worth the time/cost to try to shave my usual 1.8s launches to 1.7s launches.

Interesting.

I loved the old "stutterbox" in DSMLink, but the only place I ever used it was the dragstrip....

Overall, if you don't use it much your transmission may be fine (coming from someone who had to rent a Cavalier for a couple days when I blew out the center diff at the track in my daily driver)... Keep in mind that transmissions handle lots of load better than they handle lots of shock, that's how some people get away with 400+hp on their transmission while others blow up on stage 2. If you use it, slip the clutch quickly vs dumping it abruptly, and set the launch control high enough that you get slight wheelspin off the line. It's a fine line, but the former will put the shock more on your clutch than the trans, hopefully you have an upgraded clutch? If not, I wouldn't even consider the launch control.

EDIT: Duh, just re-read, you weren't asking specifically about launch control, rather just about patching a map...

Yessir. the first track runs, I had a blown ringland. second track runs, I killed my clutch. now everything is situated, and the clutch is good to go. I want to try launch control just to see how the car does with it at the track. it definitely won't be used on the street.

Yessir. the first track runs, I had a blown ringland. second track runs, I killed my clutch. now everything is situated, and the clutch is good to go. I want to try launch control just to see how the car does with it at the track. it definitely won't be used on the street.

In for results, OP. If you have the patience, log your launches, play with your tire pressures, and take notes, I'm sure that it is possible to get better 60's with LC than without. Not a lot of gain, mind you, but it is there to be had for somebody with enough patience and track time. ;) I just wasn't that guy.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

In for results, OP. If you have the patience, log your launches, play with your tire pressures, and take notes, I'm sure that it is possible to get better 60's with LC than without. Not a lot of gain, mind you, but it is there to be had for somebody with enough patience and track time. ;) I just wasn't that guy.

I need to figure out my logging issues for that. 1 out of 5 of my WOT logs are usable. Most have huge chunks of info that just disappear. I've heard that logging with a 1.3 Tactrix or vag-com cable remedies this. Any experience?

Follow their instructions. Set the LC offset to 3500 RPM first (remember the offset is subtracted from your red line).

I recommend using it more as a 2-step (light throttle) to just hold the revs before you quickly and smoothly give the clutch just a little bit of slip. Also, don't sit there bouncing off the limiter. Your EGT's skyrocket and the car wants to heatsoak during LC, so at most hold it for a few seconds as the lights drop.

Archived