LegacyGT.com

Help with Hotels around SFO?

RochNY91TSI

Hi all,

I'm planning a trip to the San Francisco area in a few months and I'm having a hard time finding a non-sketchy hotel that doesn't cost an arm and a leg... Does anyone have any suggestions of places to stay around the airport (for the night prior to my flight out) or even safe areas within San Fran that would have good lodging?

This would be my first trip out to CA (from NY) and I'm hoping to see a few things along the way --Yosemite, Pt Reyes, Sonoma / Napa and San Francisco itself... Any other opinions on stuff to see?

Thanks guys!

Scott

Thanks Mike,

I'm in the area for a week. We're figuring on a half day out to Yosemite and a half day back, so figuring 2 days there and the rest of the time just wandering around wine country, the city and the coast. We've booked a place for yosemite and a place at pt reyes, but the in-betweens were the unknowns (specifically around the airport).

I also just noticed a similar thread down further:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56604

that was also helpful. I'm just trying to pick stuff that's not too touristy.

Any hotel downtown (Union Square area) will be touristy, and can be pricey (I've seen good deals at the Westin St. Francis before).

The drive to Point Reyes is beautiful, but make your passenger(s) take Dramamine if they get car sick. My gf didn't, and she was nauseous on the drive back. :p I would also suggest taking the drive down to Halfmoon Bay, along Cabrillo Highway from Pacifica as that is also quite pretty (and close to the airport).

If you want some good restaurant suggestions in the city, let me know.

-Mike-

I'd like to hear some good restaurant suggestions actually :) That's a part of the trip that I haven't worked out yet.

The other thing that I just thought of is, how is traffic in the area? Are there highways to avoid, or times to avoid them?

Scott

S.F. is truly a melting pot of cuisines. So, while you're here, I suggest you try a lot of everything. ;) These are just some of my personal favorites;

Peruvian

Fresca Restaurant

24 W Portal Ave.

San Francisco, CA 94127

(415) 759-8087

Italian

Spiazzo Caffe

33 W Portal

San Francisco, CA 94127

(415) 664-9511

Thai

Marnee Thai

1243 9th Ave.

San Francisco, CA 94122

(415) 731-9999

*try the tofu spicy angel wings

Seafood

PPQ Dungeness Island

2332 Clement St (Cross Street: 24th Avenue)

San Francisco, CA 94121View Map

(415) 386-8266

*this is a Vietnamese restaurant which specializes in crab, and they have these very good garlic noodles.

Scomas of Sausalito

588 Bridgeway (Cross Street: )

Sausalito, CA 94965View Map

(415) 332-9551

*this restaurant is around Fisherman's Wharf and is more touristy than the others, but it's a restaurant I've been going to since I was a little kid (my parents love it). You get a good view of the ocean/bay, too.

Vietnamese

La Vie Vietnamese Restaurant

5830 Geary Blvd (Cross Street: 22nd Avenue)

San Francisco, CA 94121-2005

(415) 668-8080

Philly Cheese Steaks

Cheese Steak Shop

1716 Divisadero Street (between Bush & Sutter)

San Francisco, CA 94115

(415) 346-3712

*this is more of a quick food kind of place.

Hamburgers

Barney's Gourmet Hamburgers

3344 Steiner St

San Francisco, CA 94123

(415) 563-0307

In-N-Out Burger

260 Washington Street

Daly City, CA 94015

333 Jefferson St.

San Francisco, CA 94133

*not sure if you've had this before, but you can't come to CA without having an In-N-Out burger. :D It's fast food, but everything is made fresh to order. The first location is closer to the airport, the second is in the city.

Spanish (Tapas)

Thirsty Bear Brewing Company

661 Howard St (Cross Street: Third Street)

San Francisco, CA 94105

(415) 974-0905

*good tapas, and a good selection of beer.

There are a whole host of other great restaurants around, but I haven't had a chance to try them yet. So, if you find any others while you're here, let me know. :) I would suggest reservations at some of the restaurants, as they can get busy. Usually if it's on a weekday, you'll be okay. But, if you're eating on a Friday/weekend night, I'd definitely make one.

In terms of traffic, I work from home and attend classes only a couple miles away, so I don't know how much help I'd be (maybe someone else can chime in). However, I would probably avoid most of the major highways during rush hour (7-9am/4-7pm). The only exception that I've found is that you can travel north of S.F. on 101N during the morning commute, and 101S back down to the city during the evening commuted without too much trouble (reverse commute). If you're bringing a laptop with you, http://www.511.org can be useful as it has live traffic and travel time maps for the major highways in S.F. (ww.sigalert.com also has traffic maps).

Also, don't be surprised if it takes you 15-30 mins. to travel a couple miles when you're in the city. There are a lot of cars, a lot of traffic signals, and not a lot of land. ;)

-Mike-

Embassy Suites have locations in South San Francisco and Burlingame-both are minutes away from the airport, and feature hosted happy hours and fresh cooked breakfast. Easy freeway access from both.

If you like tequila check out Tommy's Resturaunt on Geary Blvd (at 23rd Ave. not street). It's a neighborhood resturaunt wiith decent food but an unbeleivable selection of Tequilas. If you want to go more upscale, there is Tres Agaves. Slightly larger tequila selection, better food, way more expensive (they are owned by the same people). Tres Agaves is right across from ATT Ballpark. The ballpark is a great venue, even if the Giants are going to be mediocre again (sigh). Have fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived