LegacyGT.com

What is wrong with Legacys?

I am seriously looking into buying an 05-08 legacy gt. I love how they look, perform, all that. I do however have a question about what is wrong with them. I understand that vehicle maintenance and how hard you drive your car will obviously effect if anything breaks, but there has to be some things that are bound to go wrong with most LGT's. For example, I currently drive a 6th gen. accord. (98-02) No matter how well you take care of it, and dont beat on it, about 80% of the transmissions on these cars blow, its just the way it is. When i was looking into Sentra SE-R's. There was a very common problem with a bolt coming lose in the motor and blowing it. Every car ive looked into has had one or two very common, almost stereotypical problems. Im pretty set on the LGT, but i was just wondering what problems like this i can look forward to. Thanks for any help.

some people have problems with the turbo failing at 50-60k miles. others have had no issues and have 100k miles.

besides the turbo issue, i dont think there are other major problems with the car.

i just purchased a 05 gt manual. for what the car is, i love it. if the turbo goes bad ill just pick up another one from the classifieds.

there are other minor problems such as the famous dash rattle. if you search there is a fix for this.

I have an 08 with 51k miles. So far, I have had zero major issues.

I have an Auto, so if you plan on modding, plan on spending some money to beef it up, it can't handle much.

My biggest gripe is the stereo. It can be replaced with an aftermarket unit, but it's difficult and expensive.

Other than that, it's been the best car I've ever owned and so far (knock on wood!) trouble free.

FWIW, I drive my car fairly hard (see avatar :)), but I maintain it well.

NEVER ARGUE WITH A STUPID PERSON.

THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Mega Users
Turbo failure is probably the most expensive common problem. A blown turbo can deteriorate and enter the intake and therefore the engine. The wheel bearings are known to go bad and SOA has a 100k extended warranty on those. It seems like you're just wondering about motor and transmission problems which Subarus for the most part tend to outlast the other parts on the car. Keep your oil changes to around 3000, follow the maintenance schedule and you will avoid 99% of the problems out there.

was it the pre-07 GTs that had the banjo bolt filter problem? or did that apply to all model years?

interior squeaks and rattles are a pretty common complaint on the forums, seems to affect all models 2.5i, GT and even the 3.0 N/A

it's not major and it can be fixed but it's somewhat annoying

edit: the 08, 09 models originally had the issue with the piston ringland failures IIRC, but subaru put a stop sale on those so hopefully there aren't any out there that you would come across used, or hopefully they have been repaired

Thanks, so it sounds like the turbo is the one thing that tends to blow. I guess if something has to go thats not too bad, because it then justifies going bigger haha. Squeaks i can live with, and i have heard before that the radio is terrible, but that can also solved somewhat easily. I am definitely going to a get a manual, how much wheel hp can these hold? How much hp can the motor safely take?

Here's a list of just a few problems I've seen reported here:

- Banjo bolt

- Failing turbo

- OEM (stock) up-pipe catalytic converter disintegration

- Bad oil pickup tube

- Terribly weak paint

- Injectors

- Dicey automatic (IPT VB upgrade recommended)

- Stereo having a mind of its own with volume or channel selection

- Incorrect ambient temp readings

- Climate control having a mind of its own

- Squeaky, rattling dash (along with other rattling interior pieces)

- Mushy brake pedal feel and questionable OEM brakes

- Crappy OEM tires

... and the grand finale:

- Bad synthetic oil

- Soap in intercooler

^ haha, the last two are running jokes on the forum; don't worry about it too much in reality. but we always poke fun at it.

i almost forgot to the mention the rear wheel bearings in the 05/06 model years, but those should have been fixed by now by the previous owner, i would hope.

but issai's list pretty much sums it all up

edit: if you're looking at slightly older used models, the lower control arm and steering bushings may be pretty worn and require replacing, just take a look at those areas before buying

Thanks alot, i will most likely be getting an 05-06, 1. because i like the slimmer body on them, and 2. they are less expensive. So hopefully i can find one with reletivley low miles on it and in good, shape, ill keep all this info in mind when im looking, keep the good info coming!

As we are 4-5 years in to the 05's now, there are a lot of clutches finally giving up.

But thats a wear and tear item like brakes. And most of us had modified out engines to produce more power. The 2005 Clutch design system was designed with stock power levels in mind.

Also these cars put out a lot more torque than a Honda, so all that torque will put stresses on these cars that aren't normally common on Hondas.

I have an '05 LGT with 67K miles and minor mods. I havent had any major issues.. biggest thing i would say is brakes... alot of people burning through them(either driving to fast :)... or warping them)... I have put my second set of rotors and third set of pads on. Great car, love it!!!

• 1 month later...
  • Mega Users
Nope. The only signs would be noise, a loss of power, and combusting oil. At that point it's too late. Turbos don't "start" to fail either. Most of the time it's pretty catastrophic. If the turbo does fail....STOP. That's the best way to protect your engine. GL with your new whip

As we are 4-5 years in to the 05's now, there are a lot of clutches finally giving up.

But thats a wear and tear item like brakes. And most of us had modified out engines to produce more power. The 2005 Clutch design system was designed with stock power levels in mind.

Also these cars put out a lot more torque than a Honda, so all that torque will put stresses on these cars that aren't normally common on Hondas.

Moreso the weak TOB, which is a while your in there minds well replace the clutch.

Archived