LegacyGT.com

How did you convert your '05 LGT fogs to HID?

FocuS

Hello All -

I have been running the DDM HIDs in my low-beams for a number of years now with good results. When I made the change over to HID, I converted my fogs over to DRLs because I like the added visibility they add.

Since I have been running the fogs as DRLs this also means that I have been going through H3 bulbs on a pretty regular basis. I had the idea that instead of continue using H3 halogens, I would switch over the fogs to HID as well since you can get a kit for almost the same price as one set of replacement bulbs...and hopefully would last much longer on steady use!

The issue is that I don't want to cut all my stock wiring up and drill holes in the dust caps of the fog housings if I were to even go back to Halogens...

Does anyone have pictures or a good description of how they did theirs? Does anyone make a specific kit for the H3 style bulb and connection method we have?

Thanks in advance! I have the electrical ability to modify our wiring but thought if a plug-n-play solution existed I'd give it a shot...

If you convert your fog lights to HID, they will no longer be useful as fog lights.

If you have HID low beams, they should be on all the time so you retain the ability to flash-to-pass (meaning you don't actually need a DRL).

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

If you convert your fog lights to HID, they will no longer be useful as fog lights.

Why not?

Are you assuming that we're just going to stuff low-beam fixtures in there, align the cutoff way too high for fog duty, and call it done?

I use my brights as flash-to-pass...works pretty well IMHO!

I have been running the fogs as DRL for over 2 years and never had an issue with them not working as fogs...The '05 didn't run the DRL at a lower brightness than regular lights if thats what you mean?

Ahhh...I'll try and explain in another way.

I run HID in my low-beams which have the DRL disabled and routed to my fogs. I would like to switch my fogs to HID since they last longer than halogens. Also, I have wired my fogs so they do not turn off when I use my high-beams (which are also halogen but I don't see the need to upgrade them to HID...

Does that make more sense?

Why not?

Are you assuming that we're just going to stuff low-beam fixtures in there, align the cutoff way too high for fog duty, and call it done?

HID's aren't appropriate for fog use. Fog patterns are designed specifically for wide-spread and relatively low output. Even in projector'd housings (which HID's need, unless the halogen housing is HID specific), you get SO MUCH light, that you saturate areas unintentionally, and increase scatter substantially (this is a function of wavelength of light). Even 3k HID's are going to have scatter issues from sheer volume of light. Unfortunately, being mounted so low, the fog lights cannot be effectively swapped for driving lights where HID's would be supremely effective.

My comment about having low beams on all the time, was just for that reason. Without the low beams on, FTP turns on all 4 bulbs. You shouldn't be quick-striking an HID ballast. You said you had your fogs wired for DRL, but DRL's are only supposed to be on when the low beams are off. I guess I was confused about your setup.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

So you're thinking it's impossible to get a fog-appropriate pattern from an HID bulb? Why? It seems to me that the right housing should be able to give an HID bulb whatever pattern the housing designer wants.

Also, I don't subscribe to the idea that wavelength really matters for fog light duty, but we're just going to have to disagree on that one. The internet is full of "evidence" for and against that theory.

Nothing is impossible, just that it's more work than a $50 kit in a stock housing.

There is only one HID fog usage projector I know of, the Blazer by RetrofitSource. Every other one, from every high end maker is halogen based, and for a reason. Light "volume" is counter productive in actual fog situations.

We can definitely disagree about wavelength and it's impact in foggy conditions. Scatter, however, is related to both wavelength and intensity.

I'd be kinda surprised if a P&P H3 LED could put out a useful amount of light.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I'm not going to be the guinea pig. :)

I'd agree. Probably not a great solution.

Per BMX's statement, I doubt the 9006 will work any different...in that it would require I make adapters of chop/tap stock wiring.

I Always thought that it was more the fact that fog lights were nearer the ground and thus their better effectiveness on foggy situations. I'm well aware of how bad higher intensity can be but I thought the low angle helped this...IDK?

Still nobody with a plug-n-play HID solution...? I doubt that the LED would work as I want it to...

I Always thought that it was more the fact that fog lights were nearer the ground and thus their better effectiveness on foggy situations. I'm well aware of how bad higher intensity can be but I thought the low angle helped this...IDK?

It's a combination of things. The low mounting position (the lower the better), combined with optics optimized for short-throw and high spread, that's what makes a fog light.

Driving lights are much narrower beams, with little spread and long range. They must be mounted higher (Higher the better). I believe there is an FMVSS reg. that says that auxiliary driving lights must be at or above the level of the primary driving lights.

Scatter in a given medium is a function of several things, but two controllable factors are wavelength and intensity. HID's are frequently longer wavelength and extremely high intensity (both of which increase scatter in a given medium).

I've always thought that the real hindrance of LEDs as driving/fog lights is that in order to make them bright enough, the heatsinks had to be VERY large.

I'm excited to see how the new BMW laser headlight prototypes work!

Per BMX's statement, I doubt the 9006 will work any different...in that it would require I make adapters of chop/tap stock wiring.

Still nobody with a plug-n-play HID solution...? I doubt that the LED would work as I want it to...

:confused: my fogs are 9006, and if you get an hid kit that's 9006, it's plug n play into the stock harness. I prefer 35watt.

Being low is part of the deal, but for lights should have a broader pattern, with just as much light on the sides as down the middle. Low-beam HIDs have a more even spread than low-beam halogens, but I'd still hope for HID fogs to have an even wider spread than HID low-beams, to get a better view of the edge of the road. It's only useful when you're going really slow, but it's nice when visibility is really bad.

Plus there's no point having a step-down in the middle of the cutoff line, since the cutoff should be too low to bother oncoming drivers anyway.

The Blazer kit from http://www.theretrofitsource.com would presumably have a the right sort of pattern, but it looks like you'd have to make brackets to get them mounted in the right places, and you'd have to remove a lot of material from the bumper where the factory fogs mount. And you'd probably have to remove the bumper to adjust the aim.

I wonder what the results would be from putting an H3 halogen into the factory fogs. I'm guessing "not good," but you never really know until you try.

:confused: my fogs are 9006, and if you get an hid kit that's 9006, it's plug n play into the stock harness. I prefer 35watt.

What year is your LGT?

I have an '05 which uses H3 bulbs in the fog housings...it's a stupid little bulb with only one wire coming off to connect through the cap with a blade connector and the negative jumpers from the housing....

Scatter in a given medium is a function of several things, but two controllable factors are wavelength and intensity. HID's are frequently longer wavelength and extremely high intensity (both of which increase scatter in a given medium).

Scatter increases at shorter wavelength (ie blue). HIDs are usually shorter wavelength so they can potentially scatter more.

I use 3000K HIDs in my fog-lights. Installation was trivial, and it made a significant upgrade in performance. The higher brightness allows me to see lane markers much better. The stock fogs were basically worthless.

As for concerns about light pattern etc. I'd say they totally overblown. The wide-angle pattern from the stock fogs will be wide angle with HIDs. I didn't notice any weird lighting pattern after upgrading.

If you upgrade, make sure to carefully aim the fogs so that they are NOT shining directly in other drivers eyes. The best way I found was to get about 30' away and keep lowering aim until you have to be eye level get get significant brightness.

Scatter increases at shorter wavelength (ie blue). HIDs are usually shorter wavelength so they can potentially scatter more.

I use 3000K HIDs in my fog-lights. Installation was trivial, and it made a significant upgrade in performance. The higher brightness allows me to see lane markers much better. The stock fogs were basically worthless.

As for concerns about light pattern etc. I'd say they totally overblown. The wide-angle pattern from the stock fogs will be wide angle with HIDs. I didn't notice any weird lighting pattern after upgrading.

If you upgrade, make sure to carefully aim the fogs so that they are NOT shining directly in other drivers eyes. The best way I found was to get about 30' away and keep lowering aim until you have to be eye level get get significant brightness.

Correct, I mistyped in that post. Shorter wavelength, not longer. My bad. I discussed the effects of HID's and scatter in another thread.

The increased intensity also increases scatter, so in actual fog setting (where you are actually supposed to use fog lights), you'll decrease lighting performance. In clear weather, when fog light use isn't really appropriate, they will definitely be brighter (which isn't ideal, really).

Archived