LegacyGT.com

Doing my 3rd oil change; what oil to use?

OK,

So since i have a case of Redline 5w30 sitting around for my race car, I thought I'd give it a go in my 3.0R N/A legacy. Just wondering what else you guys put in N/A legacy motors. I was gonna get some pennzoil platinum, but like the redline in my wrx, so we shall see. Currently the car has mobile 1 5w30 changed around 5k miles. I've got about 12k on it currently.

Royal Purple is pretty much impossible to find in bigger sizes than a quart. I get mine at Wal-Mart though, where it is the cheapest actually. Something like 6.59 a quart. Still pretty pricey for a quart of oil, but Advance Auto Parts and Napa charge 9 bucks a quart. Talk about a rip off.

?????

Since you quoted yourself 2x, I'd like to know who you are directing this comment at. I'm assuming it's me, since i started the thread. My legacy is N/A, I used to have a GT, and I also have an impreza wrx wagon.

Is that the car you are referring to, if not I'm confused.

As far as those who say it's a waste of money to put synthetic in a N/A car, I'm gonna laugh at you guys. Because I already have cases at my house, so it would cost more to go out and buy ANYTHING else.

I just wanted to know what you all put in your cars. BTW, this car is autocrossed by my wife, so I'd like the added protection that synthetic provides.

This place has gone downhill all sorts nowadays.

OK,

So since i have a case of Redline 5w30 sitting around for my race car, I thought I'd give it a go in my 3.0R N/A legacy. Just wondering what else you guys put in N/A legacy motors. I was gonna get some pennzoil platinum, but like the redline in my wrx, so we shall see. Currently the car has mobile 1 5w30 changed around 5k miles. I've got about 12k on it currently.

I've used Pennzoil Plat since the first oil change on my NA. I just switched to Q-Horsepower Synthetic because Walmart was having some kind of clearance on it and its not bad. I'm thinking of switching to Rotella T synthetic permanently this summer but i'll see how it goes, if its a mild summer I might not. 4-5k changes and I live in severe service area. Wish I had a load of Redline :)

Ignore the nay sayers. I want to see 100k on my engine.

As far as those who say it's a waste of money to put synthetic in a N/A car, I'm gonna laugh at you guys. Because I already have cases at my house, so it would cost more to go out and buy ANYTHING else.

Not only are you wasting money by putting synthetic oil into your car, you are throwing away the opportunity to get some money back from the cases of oil you already have.

Sell the synthetic oil you have in such abundance, and buy some cheaper oil that is perfectly suited for your engine.

Or, use the synthetic oil, and reduce your OCI to 15,000 miles.

You asked what oil to use, now you don't like some of the answers you get :confused:

Not only are you wasting money by putting synthetic oil into your car, you are throwing away the opportunity to get some money back from the cases of oil you already have.

Sell the synthetic oil you have in such abundance, and buy some cheaper oil that is perfectly suited for your engine.

Or, use the synthetic oil, and reduce your OCI to 15,000 miles.

You asked what oil to use, now you don't like some of the answers you get :confused:

It's not that I don't like the answers, i want to hear from those with experience. How many people who posted about wasting my time with synthetic are speaking from personal experience, not hearsay?

I know most of the SN's of you guys who have been here a while, and i appreciate all of your advice. But those of us here who have not been around, worked on, and dealt with subaru related problems for a while are not speaking from a place with decent amounts of experience. I myself have been tinkering and modding/racing subarus for 5 years this month. While that will no doubt be less than some of you, it does amount to quite some knowlege, be it forresters, imprezas, svt's, and of course legacies.

But as some of you said, Motul sounds interesting. I'll have to look into that. I've been told that Motul motorcycle brake fluid has a higher boiling point, so we will be shapping that out in my wrx and STI this weekend. I'll ask about the motor oil too! ;)

Archived