LegacyGT.com

Wheel Speed Sensor Bad?

Just after replacing my lower control arm bushings (and ball joints), I drove my car home and, after about 20 minutes at about 70 MPH, noticed my ABS light went on and my trip odometer indicated an error "SS" or "55" (and I lost cruise control).

I've got 123K on my '05 and considering the recent repair (proximity to the sensor and difficulty we had getting the ball joint out), I'm thinking a wheel speed sensor may have gotten damaged and needs to be replaced. The strange thing is that the light only comes on after 20+ minutes of highway speeds.

I talked with Subaru and other local shops that have ABS code pullers (not just the OBD2 reader), my understanding is that the ABS codes aren't stored in memory, so the only way to know what wheel is having issues is to wait until the light is on and then take it into the dealer ($90) or the local Jiffy Lube ($40) without shutting the engine off.

The dealer will tell me what's wrong, Jiffy Lube will only tell me what wheel has an issue. Any idea the likelihood of something other than the wheel speed sensor going bad? I can get a new sensor for $50, can you help me save some money?

Tanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

I finally found a friend that had an ABS code reader, turns out it's a C0106 or left rear wheel speed sensor.

Just ordered a new sensor for $50, let's hope it's just a plug and play...

Also had a C0114 valve relay failure on the CEL history... feel free to chime in if you know anything about that one.

My neighbor has a Nissan Murano which started having abs trouble light problems soon after having a wheel bearing replaced. Yes, and he lost cruise as well. It's a common consequence of having such work done, but it was solved by a plug and play replacement of the sensor and attached wiring harness. If you had a shop do the work (on the rear wheel?) I think you hold them responsible.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived