LegacyGT.com

Slipping clutch only below freezing

2004 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 L

Slipping clutch in first and second gear, but only below freezing. When the temp goes above 32f/0c it drive like new. I figure there is ice forming somewhere.

Things I've replaced:

Slave cylinder

Master cylinder

Flexible hose

Bleed the heck out of it

Clutch/ pp/ tob ( old ones looked real good)

Flywheel was smooth with only slight discoloration( scuffed it)

I'm at my wits end.

Any help would be much appreciate.

Even when the car warms up it still slips. Only when the temp. goes above freezing does it drive normal.

The car has 110,000 miles and I just replaced the clutch.

It was doing the same thing before I changed it.

Man, you've replaced everything. I don't know about the '05 but my '08 has a somewhat "different" linkage on the clutch pedal. Its attached to a rotating shaft that runs in behind the brake pedal toward the centre of the car. I'm wondering if something is getting bound up in it? You have to be a contortionist to see it, but there is an adjustment up in there on mine. Maybe yours is simply too tight and slightly disengaged all the time? Is the heater cable stuck under it or something? Just guessing here of course.

Silly question, but are you sure you put the right clutch in? And the flywheel was not resurfaced from what I'm reading?

That's where im confused as well,

Clutch/ pp/ tob ( old ones looked real good)

Flywheel was smooth with only slight discoloration( scuffed it)

I thought he took the clutch and and reused it :confused:

OP you should have installed Exedy KSB04 kit if possible could you give us the part number(s) used for the replacement parts?

I replaced the clutch Pp and TOB with new ones from NAPA. The Fly wheel was not resurfaced , but it looked great. The clutch still had meat left on it. The flywheel was smooth with a slight discoloration I cleaned it real good and scuffed it with 150 grit sand paper. The problem I was getting before the change is the same problem I'm getting now. I'll look for the part number but I think I trashed it. I'll call my NAPA guy on Monday and figure the part number I got.

Ok, drove it home last night from airport parking. It was 60 degrees the clutch slipped for 10 min. I stopped for food then it was perfect all the way home (150 miles) . I sprayed the clutch peddle mechanism down with brake cleaner and WD 40 this morning and took it for a test drive, no slipping at all. I'll see what happens when the weather drops below freezing again.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Donnyjagaru your a genius. Woke up to freezing temps today and clutch worked 100%. Apparently there was enough gunk and carpet fuzz to keep the peddle from returning all the way. A heavy spray with brake cleaner and WD40 did the trick!

I think I didn't need to change any parts. Just a can of WD40.

Oh we'll, I would have needed a clutch in 20 or 30,000 miles anyway.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Jon

I've got to look into this on my car... how difficult is it to see what's going on in there? I've never adjusted my clutch (don't really know if it's possible or how I would do it) but I think I should take a look at this same thing. Mine seems to slip in 1st gear when it is cold out. I'll have to get under there and take a look at things.

Pictures would be helpful if possible! :)

• Moderators

It's not difficult, but it is a serious PITA--if that makes sense. Somewhat tight space and you need to lay on your back while cramming yourself under the drivers footwell. You undo the linkage at a point above the gas pedal--remove a cotter pin, then squeeze little white tabs to remove the actual pin. Loosen the locking nut on the threaded portion, and then you can adjust the length by turning the u-shaped piece along the threaded portion. A little bit of adjustment (couple turns) goes a pretty decent amount. When you're done, tighten the locking nut back up and reassemble.

The *hardest* part is probably pulling the little tiny cotter pin out and removing the actual pin--those little clip things suck.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

^ I agree you want a little bit of free play in the clutch pedal. But loosen the lock nut and turn the adjustment rod with some pliers. No need to undo all the other stuff.

If there is no free play it will constantly put pressure on the clutch and cause the slipping.

• 1 month later...

OK,

I thought i had this solved!

Cold weather again, long story short, and I think i finally found the culpret.

The rear left CV is popping out of the differential. Popped out get slipping, shoved in no slipping! I cant get it to stay in.

So...new problem. New axle? or c clip problem in the differential?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived