LegacyGT.com

Clutch Whistling?

nemo

I just recently noticed that I'm getting a whistle/flutter noise when I get on the clutch (whether the car is in gear or not). I can only really hear it at lower speeds, so I'm not sure if it's gone at higher speeds or I just can't hear it (assuming the latter). Car has about 25k miles on it.

Is this something I should be worrying about? :redface:

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

When my throwout bearing went, it whinned when I first started the car. I would press the clutch in to start the car, then when I let the clutch out, it felt like it was slightly engaging and it started to whine. Once the car was warm it went away. Are your symptoms like that?

Hmm, well if it is the throwout bearing, I guess I should bring the car in to Subaru before the warranty expires. The last thing I want is to deal with something after the warranty is up.

As for more detailed symptoms... I'm about to take it for a ride so I'll try to get more info, but usually it's something like this: I hear the noise for maybe the first 5 minutes of driving (it might go away, but it could also be me tuning it out). It ONLY happens when I get to the engagement point. Anywhere before or after the engagement point, there's no noise. But like I said, doesn't matter if the car is in gear or not.

Underdog, have you ever brought it in for a throwout bearing check?

*sigh* That's what I'm worried about. I want to bring it in to be safe, but I don't want them to **** something up or waste my time.

If you go to the dealer for a throwout bearing, they will try to not cover it. If they diagnose it, you ask them if they will cover it under warranty. Before you start this conversation with them, you need to know that the clutch is a wear item, of course. Do not let them bullsh__ you into thinking that a throwout bearing is a wear item. IT IS NOT!! Ask any reputable auto mechanic and they will tell you that. A bearing is designed to prevent or reduce wear, not promote it. If the bearing is going out before the clutch does, something was not designed properly.

I had to get on the phone with Subaru of America (SOA) and tell them the situation. They asked what dealership my car was at and told me that I would be hearing back from them shortly. Sure enough, I got a call back from SOA and I was told that the dealership would be contacting me shortly to setup a time to replace my throwout bearing. The dealership called me not to long after that and offered to replace my clutch at no labor cost since they have to take everything apart anyways.

Persistence is the key with all this stuff. It really helps to have a logical argument as well. If something fails under a warranty because it is not engineered or designed properly, they will not hear the end of it from me until it is fixed.

Try telling them that when my output shaft bearing went at 60k miles

The disinclination of SOA to fully cover rare or questionable warranty issues increases as you get towards the end of the warranty period.

If you go to the dealer for a throwout bearing, they will try to not cover it. If they diagnose it, you ask them if they will cover it under warranty. Before you start this conversation with them, you need to know that the clutch is a wear item, of course. Do not let them bullsh__ you into thinking that a throwout bearing is a wear item. IT IS NOT!! Ask any reputable auto mechanic and they will tell you that. A bearing is designed to prevent or reduce wear, not promote it. If the bearing is going out before the clutch does, something was not designed properly.

I had to get on the phone with Subaru of America (SOA) and tell them the situation. They asked what dealership my car was at and told me that I would be hearing back from them shortly. Sure enough, I got a call back from SOA and I was told that the dealership would be contacting me shortly to setup a time to replace my throwout bearing. The dealership called me not to long after that and offered to replace my clutch at no labor cost since they have to take everything apart anyways.

Persistence is the key with all this stuff. It really helps to have a logical argument as well. If something fails under a warranty because it is not engineered or designed properly, they will not hear the end of it from me until it is fixed.

Wow thanks for the advice.

I just hate going to the dealer. It's such a waste. I wish I could just go one day, get it dealt with and be done with it. But it's always... ALWAYS a week+ long process

FYI, the throwout bearing is a wear item in many senses of the word. If I drive my legacy gt home from the dealer, let it run, and place a cement block on my clutch pedal, I don't expect my TO bearing to last long.

Nonetheless, it should be replaced under the warranty for which it is specified (I think it's under the 5 year/60k warranty, but I don't remember).

Joe

FYI, the throwout bearing is a wear item in many senses of the word. If I drive my legacy gt home from the dealer, let it run, and place a cement block on my clutch pedal, I don't expect my TO bearing to last long.

Nonetheless, it should be replaced under the warranty for which it is specified (I think it's under the 5 year/60k warranty, but I don't remember).

Joe

If you go that far, just say that everything is a wear item as everything truly is. It is called the Second Law of Thermodynamics. Ask one of the several extremely reputable subaru repair shops I called when trying to get a second opinion on the matter and they would respectfully disagree that it is classified as a wear item. Do not go into the Subaru dealership with the idea that it is or you are doomed. You go in there full heartedly believing that it is NOT a wear item and that it should be covered under the drivetrain warranty.

I'm not speaking about mentality, I'm simply speaking that the life of the throwout bearing is directly influenced by the driving habits of the individual/owner. I understand how far down you can take that argument, and like I said it should be replaced.

• 3 months later...

I think I am starting to hear the same thing. Began hearing it last week after my 60K tune up.

It has happened twice so far. When I start the car in the morning, put the car in 1st gear to pull out of my spot, I hear the whistling sound as i release the clutch pedal. I hear this sound again when releasing the clutch pedal when shifting into other gears. It usually stops after the car warms up from driving.

I've read through numerous threads and it sounds like it is the throw out bearing. I am at 65K so I am no longer under warranty.

Should I even bring it to the dealer? They will charge me 75 bucks just to look at it right?

I am thinking about just ordering the act clutch kit (This should cover the bearing right?) and wrx fly wheel from fred beans and just replacing the clutch immediately in case this thing destroys the tranny.

I figure at 65K clutch is due for a replacement anyways (still seems to work well though) But I just don't want to risk the bearing destroying my tranny causing more expenses.

just spent 1200 bucks on tune up and tires!

Also will my clutch feel more like a 06 wrx clutch? I like the feel of clutch on my co workers 06 wrx

Joe is the TSK3 tranquil kit easy to install? Meaning will the shop charge me extra for installing it?

I ordered a clutch and wrx flywheel from fred beans. Might order this if I don't shell out even more money.

My shop is charging me 400 for the clutch install.

^ If they're already gonna be in there to install a cluth and flywheel, they probably shouldn't charge MUCH extra to install the TSK kit. It'll be a little more for the labor, but significantly cheaper compared to doing it from scratch.

Archived