LegacyGT.com

So I have an 07 subaru legacy and I was just going to do the upgraded air intake sytem with the k & n filter but my friend presented me with a different idea. If I got the gt hood with the scoop could I put the air intake that sits underneath that scoop on my car. I know i don't have a turbo but would I get more power from that or should I just stick with the other upgraded intake?

Well, I think this may be in the wrong section...

And to answer you bluntly. Don't do that. Airbox currently sits in a good position in the engine bay and to buy a new hood and reroute the whole intake would be way more money than it's worth.

I won't get into it whether a upgraded intake adds power as this tends to be a hot topic, but if you want it, go for it.

I'm no expert, but as stated above the stock intake is pretty well set up and good to go, at least until serious mods start coming into play. I'd imagine routing through a GT hood scoop would only cause the air to come in warmer, should it have to go by hot engine components first. Plus the cost.

Not to mention the air intake made to go under the scoop (For N/A motors) is designed for the 2.5 with MAP sensor. Our motors have MAF sensor and they never got it to work quite right.

Also as stated above, the factory intake system is about as good as your going to get. It's hard to believe I know, your head doesn't want you to comprehend that a factory intake could possibly be more efficient than an aftermarket. But it's already as far from the motor as it could get, is fully enclosed to further shield from heat, and has the induction scoop for that "Ram Air" effect.

If you REALLY want to do something to the intake, even just for show, pick up a carbon fiber box "scoop". JP Carbon sells them for $150

The air filter doesn't sit under the scoop on the GT. The scoop is to cool the inter cooler down and the air charge inside to increase horsepower and for better gas mileage. If you did what your wanting to, the next big rain you would more than likely hydro lock your engine.

joe r

I know what he's talking about. There is a top mount intake made for N/A 2.5s, and I've read it works well.

The water issue has been brought up many times with it and it has been explained that not enough water actually gets in through the scoop to effect anything, to put it in simplest terms.

But again, they couldn't get it to work on motors with a MAF sensor.

Moved to Normally Aspirated sub-forum.

OP - one sure way to make your engine run lean is via an untested, untuned air intake and filter. Will this cause your engine to detonate? Unknown at varying RPM/load levels, but it's a known unknown.

The air collector that's immediately under your hood on the front right side is designed to draw/ram cooler air into your filter box. That filter box has already been proven to support up to 400 AWHP so you're not gaining anything by changing it out, except a much louder intake that can border on intrusive - not funds well-spent IMO.

If you've still a mind to add an intake, DO NOT attempt to use a GT hood as your inlet "scoop". Rain and snow driven into that scoop (and I've been in torrential downpours in LV, NV), would quickly get into your motor and, as was mentioned, likely hydrolock your motor. Yeah - that would be fun.

Like everything else... YMMV, but good luck.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived