LegacyGT.com

rough idle 2005 turbo legacy wagon

My car had 103k miles on it. Always properly maintained, adult-driven (we bought our son an old Volvo...) New timing belt 1 month ago. Car runs great except that the idle, which was never butter-smooth to begin with, has been getting rougher and rougher over the past year or so. It doesn't surge or stall, just kind of lumpy when stopped at a light. Does not improve much once engine has reached operating temperature. Running premium gas, of course. Gas mileage is about the same as always - averages about 18mpg.

Thanks.

P

My car had 103k miles on it. Always properly maintained, adult-driven (we bought our son an old Volvo...) New timing belt 1 month ago. Car runs great except that the idle, which was never butter-smooth to begin with, has been getting rougher and rougher over the past year or so. It doesn't surge or stall, just kind of lumpy when stopped at a light. Does not improve much once engine has reached operating temperature. Running premium gas, of course. Gas mileage is about the same as always - averages about 18mpg.

Thanks.

P

When was the last time the injectors were "cleaned"

Have you checked all hoses?

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Have the o-rings between the intake manifold and TGV's been replaced with the new larger orange one's ?

Most of the time that's the issue.

Is this all the time or just when it's cold out ?

If the car has been stock all these years, the next guess is burnt valves in #2 or #4 cylinder.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, any update on this one? My stock '06 with 136K miles is having the same issue, and I have been getting a #2 misfire CEL which the dealer can't seem to fix. They replaced the injector, that didn't solve the problem, and now they are thinking engine rebuild, because of bad o-rings, valves, etc.

Also, they did a leak down test which read at 15. Subaru says anything over a 7 is bad. Thanks,

Archived