LegacyGT.com

Turbo problems??

This is my first post and try not to ask if I can find it myself but I can't seem to get an answer on this. I had a p0011 engine code the other day and one of my filters was almost completely blocked. We unblocked it and all was good. This was two days ago now today I saw a large amount of smoke behind me on a quick acceleration and its done it every time on first acceleration after I first start it. Also sence then it will stall the first time i start it up Andre second time it stays running fine. I'm thinking the turbo is done and I'm seein replacement vf40's on eBay for $365 new or remaned does that seem cheap?

You need to stop driving the car.

Pull the down pipe and check for shaft play.

Not sure why the engine is stalling the first you start it.

the other day someone posted a link to a place that had rebuilt vf52's.

IMO stay away from a vf40.

http://6starspeed.com/reihivftusuw.html

What year is your car ?

You may want to get a catless up pipe too. and a new oil return line.

I bolted my vf2 on. I used the same bolts that hold the up pipe the the block, the dealer has them. It makes it much easier to line the inlet and oil return line

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4783.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I need a tune with vf52 right? I can't get it tuned until I have all the stage 2 mods so I think I'm stuck with a vf40 for right now. I have no tools at home and my dealership isn't far from home so I am going to drive very carefully in to work In the morning. I just bought the car a month ago.

Either Cobb AP or a open source tune if you have a lap top and the $40. cable.

My Tuner, (Mike Kinsman) http://www.tuningalliance.com a vendor on here can help you out. Just email him from his thread in the Vendor Forum.

You can tell him I sent you.

I just emailed him with a update on the mpg on my wagon. I got 27mpg on the dash coming back from VT at 75-78 mph for most of the 145 mile drive.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Then a Cobb AP is the easier thing to get.

Mike can send you a map by email, you load it into the AP then load it into the car.

I'm not sure a mechanic wants to mess with that.

You may want to PM NRW on here, he may be able to help you too or he may know of someone close to you.

I was very luckily wrong about my turbo. I'm not burning oil so the smoke is unexplainable to anyone who has looked at it. I'm going to just keep an eye on my fluids for now and hope for the best.

Have you checked the shaft play on the turbo yet? I would be hesitant to dismiss the turbo just because you're not burning oil yet. If the turbo is bad, when it goes your shortblock can go with it. Then you're looking at around $2k for a shortblock and turbo. You're better off replacing it before it goes than ignoring it and hoping for the best.

Have you checked the shaft play on the turbo yet? I would be hesitant to dismiss the turbo just because you're not burning oil yet. If the turbo is bad, when it goes your shortblock can go with it. Then you're looking at around $2k for a shortblock and turbo. You're better off replacing it before it goes than ignoring it and hoping for the best.

I think your a little low on the $2k cost there. It will be closer to $5k by the time it's all done.

I think your a little low on the $2k cost there. It will be closer to $5k by the time it's all done.

I believe you there.. I just didn't want to ignore me because I may/may not have inflated the cost. Regardless, $2k-$5k is much worse compared to a few hundred dollars worth of preventative maintenance.. At least, that's what I'm telling my GF :lol:

I agree I had my guys check the car after I wasted money with Subaru. All seems to be good. The only reason I thought turbo was because of the p0011 code and then the smoke a couple days after. I'm in the clear for now but when I go stage 2 I'm thinking about vf52 upgrade but I think that may be pushing it on my 5eat.

Archived