LegacyGT.com

slow subaru acceleration

sealoss

my 1998 subaru legacy gt 2.5 limited is a good car but the acceleration is slower than usual on a car. Are there any things that could cause this and that i could do to fix or to a minor up grade like an air intake

the motor is probably getting old/tired. sorry for the personification...

could possibly be ..carbon build up.

you could try some seafoam. zmax..terracleaning the engine..

but i can't guarantee you that it will make things like any better.

you can clean the throttle body and maf sensor. add some fuel injector cleaner....

my 1998 subaru legacy gt 2.5 limited is a good car but the acceleration is slower than usual on a car. Are there any things that could cause this and that i could do to fix or to a minor up grade like an air intake

I think thats pretty common for our car, i tend to launch around 1400rpms and because thats where i can get it smoothest but my car cruises really easily just off the line the awd slows it down slightly more than a regular car, and you cant launch it as high off the line

but if you have higher kms your tranny could be sluggish could even be low fluid

otherwise everything Darnkess said could help to restore a little bit of the factory horsepower thats degraded over time

Apart from that i have a intake on my legacy Gt and it definately gives me more power and more air and it would help with your acceleration

its a Weapon R short ram intake, but others would recommend ou a cold air intake thats pipe goes out to your fender.

heres a pic of mine though and it has a sweet sound and im sure its better than the stock setup

DSC00438.thumb.jpg.1ceb5e07ec1087e9ed6df65ec124907d.jpg

Clogged cat, worn spark plugs, old spark plug wires, clogged fuel filter, dirty O2 sensors, ect....

I'd say start with some maintenance and see where that gets you. If you want to do an air filter now is the perfect time...

Get some spark plugs and wires, a couple O2 sensors, give it an oil change, clean the MAF sensor, replace the fuel filter, and if its an automatic maybe change the tranny fluid/filter and see how that goes. You'd be amazed how much old worn out components can affect a cars performance. Chances are, if the performance has dropped significantly the motor could be on its way out, or the timing could have even slipped indicating you need a new timing belt. If it gets any worse all of a sudden without warning, pull the timing cover and check the timing. If the belt is worn, frayed, or loose replace it before your car renders itself useless.

Archived