LegacyGT.com

boxer sound, or possible prob??? new 09 2.5i

Hi all,

Just got my leftover 09 2.5i, now has 230 miles on it. 5 speed manual.Loving the car so far, but something is bugging me. Let me preface by saying that we also have an 02 forester w/127k on it that doesn't demonstrate this "sound".

I know the boxer has a unique sound and I "think" I'm familiar with it, but the new legacy is driving me nuts. The engine sounds great everywhere up to 4k (haven't pushed it past yet;)) except at a part throttle acceleration between 2500 and 3000 rpms, any gear, but most noticeable in 2nd through 4th. Basically it sounds kind of like helicopter blades. I can hear it over the radio. And also, revving in nuetral creates a definite vibration in that exact rev range. Anybody have similiar experience?? The car is great cruising on the highway, or at a quicker acceleration. Hope I'm not in for a bad experience. Or is it the norm for the car?

Thanks for any insight.

yea i think this is normal. first off, the car overall is quieter than you previous car, so any noise from the motor will sound louder than in your previous car imo. my car does the same thing at partial throttle. when i first got it, i thought the car was very quiet, but motor was overly noisy at certain rpm's, but i soon got used to it.

• 2 months later...

Say, did you ever figure this out or find any fix? There was an 05 sedan here I wanted to buy (seller was asking $6500 at 130K miles) but it had that rattle under load so I chickened out.

Lots of Outback wagons in my town, few Legacy sedans of any year/model, and almost none used for sale.

I have this sound but I do not notice anymore or thing it is annoying. its just the nature of this boxer engine in the N/A trim i guess b/c i drove a 2010 BM EJ253 with a 6MT and no helicopter sounds

I think maybe I'm confusing the sound you guys are talking about with a sound that was like someone shaking a spray can (the kind with the agitator ball in it) .......real fast.... It had me wondering even if maybe the car I was trying out had a loose exhaust header or something....

GEE, it wasn't my car. The owner said it had "always" made that sound. I started a thread on this earlier, here.

In the 30 minutes I drove it, that rattle happened under load, accelerating or climbing hills. It's not a sound that I'd consider normal or something you'd tolerate on a new car, either, but the car I drove was otherwise okay, ran fine.

• 9 months later...
GEE-OTTO I have a 07 legacy N/A that just started making the same noise this morning when the car was cold, well a lil warm but first trip in the morning. The rattle was produced while accelerating and in each gear. After I drove the car for 5 miles or so the rattle was gone, I guess the car was warm enough. This issue just started and my car has 61900 miles on it, and I think it may have something to do with parking in snow on the street. I first noticed the noise yesterday while pulling out of the snowy spot on the street but then it went right away so I didnt think much of it until this morning when I could hear the noise consistently. I hope it is not an axle or cv starting to go, although if others are experiencing this issue and driving with it I doubt it. I am interested to know how everyone elses noise started maybe we can pinpoint a problem area.

Archived