LegacyGT.com

Do I need headgaskets?

• I Donated

07 Spec.B, 70k mi.

Coolant is pretty dark, but still has a greenish hue when not in the drain pan.

Oil from the oil pan looks fine, but there is light tan foamy oil residue in the PCV system.

Can't do a compression test, because the engine is currently out of the car. Oops.

Thoughts? Anything else I should check?

If you already have the engine out how much extra work does that involve?

This^^^

The hard part is already done. Do it while you've got it out if you are concerned. Might as well also do the timing belt while you are in there. Don't forget spark plugs.

• I Donated

Not doing the timing belt right now. Don't have the money to do it right, and I've got 35k until it's due, and I can do it without pulling the engine.

I really don't WANT to do the HGs, because they're a total pain in the ass. I'm particularly not looking forward to taking off the intake cam pulleys. Subaru hired a gorilla to tighten those things down at the factory. But, I am willing to do them if I need to. I'm just not sure I need to.

Does the foamy light-colored oil indicate a probable HG issue? Or are there other more likely causes? The coolant may just be dark because it was never changed.

• Moderators

Will an impact gun help with the cam pulleys? I've got an ingersoll rand electric that you could borrow if you want it--I'll be in college park on thursday evening and could loan it to you for a bit if you could meet me there.

(no idea if cam pulleys are impact accessible or not...)

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

If the car is not driven for a long time in the cold weather the light brown crap in the PCV system is normal.

The engine has not gotten warm enough to boil the condensation out of the system.

The AOS on my wagon gets it to unless the outside air temps are above 30F...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Why is the engine out anyways ?

Thanks, I was going to ask but didn't want to seem like I missed something earlier...;) lol

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

If your oil was a milk chockolate color like this

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad258/jduani/483135_10152432019720123_1875949660_n_zps05082fba.jpg(my 07 Spec B right around the 65K)

Then you headgasket is gone... haha.

If the motor is already out and you are taking the IM off anyway you might as well just do the gaskets if have an worry.

If your oil was a milk chockolate color like this

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad258/jduani/483135_10152432019720123_1875949660_n_zps05082fba.jpg(my 07 Spec B right around the 65K)

Then you headgasket is gone... haha.

If the motor is already out and you are taking the IM off anyway you might as well just do the gaskets if have an worry.

His oil was normal looking. re-read post #1.

Yes, primary reason is clutch replacement. Also doing the IM gaskets and installing an oil pressure gauge sender (among other things) while it's out.

Remember to grease the starter shaft too.

Now I can see the photo above, that's how my AOS looks during the cold weather. My HG 's are fine.

WaspGT, some of us think it's easier to pull the engine for the clutch rather then drop the tranny.

I've done both. It is easier to work on the clutch on the back of the block with it out of the car.

Now I can see the photo above, that's how my AOS looks during the cold weather. My HG 's are fine.

WaspGT, some of us think it's easier to pull the engine for the clutch rather then drop the tranny.

I've done both. It is easier to work on the clutch on the back of the block with it out of the car.

It'll be a good time to bolt on my new 20G, do my headgasket and timing belt i guess. Just turned into a 2 day job... sweet.

It'll be a good time to bolt on my new 20G, do my headgasket and timing belt i guess. Just turned into a 2 day job... sweet.

Why replace your HG's ?

• I Donated

Probably more like 3-4...

I found it a lot easier to drop the tranny to replace the clutch. Too much work involed in pulling the engine, IMO.

Much, much quicker and less mess.

Well, I have no Extra-S and no transmission jack, so I pulled the engine instead. :redface: Made it easier to do the IM gaskets while the engine was on a stand, anyway. And I broke the seals on all the hoses around the turbo while the engine was out, so that it will be easier to swap to the 16G when the time comes.

Archived