LegacyGT.com

throw out bearing clicking

Max Capacity

Mine began making a clicking noise when the clutch pedal is out, in neutral and in gear. Push in the clutch and it stops, drive the car and it makes the clicking noise in gear and when coasting, push in the clutch and it stop's. ???

Is it the throw it bearing?

Is it safe to drive ?

In Aug the dealer rebuilt the tranny with a new case, that was about 2000 miles ago.

I guess I'll call them in the AM.

Isn't there some fix people have come up with, something about an external shim type thing...?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

but as long as i dont push in the clutch all the way, im able to avoid the clicking

Mine only stops clicking when the clutch is in. The clicking follows the rev's of the engine weather in gear and driving or sitting at idle the clicking is there.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Just called the dealer, 6 teeth missing from 2nd gear. They waiting to hear back from the warranty company.

I don't seem to remember it driving like it had 6 teeth missing. I was telling my son the other day how good the car was running.

They took the pressure plate off to look at the LWFW he said something about that, (lwfw) but it's in fine shape.

Yes, After thinking about the history, I think it may be some fall out from the problem the caused the last rebuild 2800 miles ago. I think that thread is here some where.

Service guy said the broken teeth are caused by high rpm shifts.

Some pin that holds the input bearing in moved out of place, caused the shaft play and the case to wear, broke 3/4 shift fork and lots of other damage.

That rebuild was after the 1st rebuild at 70,000 miles, Bearings and syncro's. Car has almost 98,000 miles.

If you think your TOB is going, I'd stop driving your car and have the dealer check out, if it grenades ... you'll be fixing a lot more than that.

It's at the dealers now, that's how I know they found 6 teeth missing from 2nd gear.

I didn't think it was the TOB, people were saying it was. That's why I have ??? in the first post.

While everything is apart you should consider the trans quill sleeve kit people are mentioning.. I ordered one on monday, having it installed early next week..

http://www.subaruwrxparts.com/products/2005-drivetrain-c-23_43_96.html?osCsid=271e28aa0c1c1dfb041b4b8f9c34ec61

Warranty company won't cover the rebuild. This ones on me. Dealer said they will try and help out with the cost where they can.

They say signs of abuse, I say the car drove fine in 2nd gear, smooth, no indication of 6 missing teeth.

I have driven cars with broken teeth. In fact have a young friends Acura Intrega in the drive way with it's broken tranny in the basement. It had a lot of teeth in the case. 340whp turbo charged 1.8L When AAA dropped it off, I jacked it up, started it, put it in gear, let the clutch out slowly and pushed it back in. The metal sound was horrible.

I'm staying with the Spec 2+ and LWFW. Heard back from Dave Norton at Spec. I replied to him with a little more info a few minutes ago.

I'm having the dealer put a new throw out bearing in, just because.

Car will be ready Friday at 4PM.

Archived