LegacyGT.com

92' Legacy Headlight Problems

sp2god

My 1992 legacy has a problem with its headlights in that it only has low beams......... does anyone know wat could be the problem all the fuses check out fine i dont know about any relays. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Not trying to insult your intelligence, but have you checked the bulbs? It's very unlikely that both bulbs would loose their high beam filaments at the same time, but it is possible. Also, sometimes the "blade fuses" can look pretty normal, but can actually be open. The only way to really be sure is to use an ohmmeter or to substitute a known good fuse.

Next place to look are the relays. Don't have a schematic for the 92', but most later Subies have the high beam filaments wired directly in parallel (no separate relays for left/right sides). If your relay box has a cover, take a look and see if the headlight high-beam relay is identified on the inside of the cover. If not on cover, try looking in the owner's manual--sometimes the relays are noted there. If you can find the relay, try removing and inserting it a few times to clean the contacts. Also, you can try to check the coil resistance with an ohmmeter (normally around 45-55 ohms).

If the relay looks good, you probably have a defective dimmer switch, loose connector, or worse, a wiring problem. To check those out you will need a circuit drawing (schematic) and at least some basic electronics knowledge.

good Luck,

LotusSeven

Heavy Metal Killed Beethoven

Support Classical Music

Lol man thanks. I havnt checked the bulbs but i have been told that it is impossible that both bulbs went out at the same time. I will try all of your suggestions tommorow to see if they work. Thank You.

Fairly improbable, but definitely not impossible. ;)

Also, trace your harness back and see if you can locate the ground. I have had no direct experience with a '92 Leggy, but on many of my previous cars, a ground short caused just such a problem.

Also, jiggle the harness around a bit, and see if that doesn't get things working right again. If so, check any harness connector to see if corrosion within could have caused a problem.

Sorry, nothing more definite, but best of luck! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 3 weeks later...
I own a 92 LGT wag. If you still have the problem try the fuse box under the hood for the relays and fuses they do run a left and right side. and maybe just maybe check the switch on the column they can go bad. is it clicking when you put on high beams? try pulling back will it flash high beams (flash to pass mode) lotusseven really had some good points. I had an acura integra where both bulbs blew at one time. ANYTHING is possible. email me if u need schematics for lights.

Archived