LegacyGT.com

winter wheels

Why steelies? If your going to be buying a set of cheap wheels why not look in the classifieds and pick up a nicer set of wheels for summer and put winter tires on your stockers. At least thats what I did.

I'm curious though, do you get snow? Wouldn't a good all season last you all year? I can understand if you want to run max performance tires in summer. Is that your aim?

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

I'm actually thinking about putting on some winter tires this year too. haven't started looking for wheels yet but will look for a package deal.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Why steelies? If your going to be buying a set of cheap wheels why not look in the classifieds and pick up a nicer set of wheels for summer and put winter tires on your stockers. At least thats what I did.

I'm curious though, do you get snow? Wouldn't a good all season last you all year? I can understand if you want to run max performance tires in summer. Is that your aim?

This is WA state, question is when we DON"T get snow lol. It's 4th week of June and we haven't hit 80's yet. Rivers are flooded and there's snow in mountains.

We get a LOT of snow, so yeah a studded winter tire is a must if you want to make it through the streets in winter time.

If you like your stockers you could just look for another set for winter. You could also buy one at a time when people are trying to get rid of ones with curb rash (if you don't mind that for your winter setup...).

This is WA state, question is when we DON"T get snow lol. It's 4th week of June and we haven't hit 80's yet. Rivers are flooded and there's snow in mountains.

We get a LOT of snow, so yeah a studded winter tire is a must if you want to make it through the streets in winter time.

What are you smoking? :lol: :lol: ;)

Studs? Here in Western Washington? Honestly, they should be outlawed.

OK, that might be a bit much but really NOT needed, especially now that you've got awd. You can easily get through one of our winters on a good all season. At most you need a studless winter tire even IF you go up to the mountains skiing every weekend in the winter.

I've been on Nokian WR's (a winter rated "all season") for the past few winters and easily drove up some pretty steep hills in the city during the snow storms. OK, they weren't completely iced over yet but I'm pretty sure you can avoid those really slick roads if you have to.

Cheers!

EDIT: Goneskiian you beat me to the punch!

........I lived in WA state for 29 year and never rocked a full winter tire. I never owned a Subaru until last year. I also frequented both Stevens and Snoq. passes on the weekends for boarding. I think you are dramatizing WA states weather a little bit. A good all season tire will suffice there. I have seen 17" steelies but do not know that I have seen them in a 5x100 lug pattern. I will check around and let you know.

[

I bought my 2.5 GT Wagon last Feb. It came with winters on cheap FAST alu wheels. It was a disaster. After four winters and only 17,000km of winter driving each wheel was extremely corroded on an arc of about 10" length between the rubber and the rim. Only two were still holding air. We get our share of snow and salt in Quebec. As far as I can figure the previous owner only did local in town winter driving and the wheels never had a chance to clear themselves of snow. He did mention that he appreciated the space between the spokes as he was able to clear the snow that put the wheels out of balance. The corrosion and staining of the wheels clearly indicated that rivers of corrosive water were frequent. The wheels have been scraped and replaced by OEM 17X7 with 48mm offset that I picked up at a junkyard. I hope that I can keep them clean by driving the car. The FAST wheels were corroded everywhere: between the rubber and the rim, around all the stud holes included the unused ones, and the paint was peeling off all of the spokes. The regular wheels are 17X7 with 55mm of offset. The new-old ones fit and I don't think the 7mm difference will be a problem.

I couldn't find any 17" steelies.

Cheers

Rod

• 2 months later...
I use my stock wheels for my snow tires and just got a nicer set for the summer. That is what I would recommend. It makes things much easier in the long run. If you do the math the money you save on having tired mounted twice a year will pay for your new wheels in less time than you think. I grew up in eastern washington and live in colorado now. Thats what I have always done and it has served me well. Good luck with your search!

2012 Xterra Pro-4X

2003 Outback Sedan Limited

D.U.S.T.O.F.F.

"Dedicated Unhesitating Service To Our Fighting Forces"

I use my stock wheels for my snow tires and just got a nicer set for the summer.

That's my plan. OEM for winter, 06 WRX wheels for the summer.

OT, what do you fly? My father was Director of Engineering at Sikorsky for 22 years. Well, director for the last 8.

If I find 17 steel wheels with same lug pattern that's all I need.

At the cost of decent steel rims these days it is probably cheaper to get some cheap "Mags" and be done with it............BTW I did exhaustive searching for 17" 5X100 steelies with suitable offset.....Nada:mad:

Plenty of cheap options at Discount Tire Direct. No they aren't steel, but I dunno if you'll find any 17" steelies.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/filterWheelProducts.do?vid=009190&yr=2005&wd=17&rw=&bp=&counter=5&fcf=&fcpr=&fcst=&fcs=false&fcb=&pager.offset=0

Or just get another set of stock wheels or 17" WRX (non-STI) wheels.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

whatever you do just dont run on the stock crap-tenza RE92's in the snow!

Last winter, ran right pass the light at an intersection going 20mph.. ABS kicked in but car just wouldnt stop. Scared the shit outta me, so I bought a set of blizzaks ws60 and now I have to try hard to even get the ABS to kick in :)

I just threw 'em on my stock 17" rims and bought new 18" rims/tires for the summer

Archived