LegacyGT.com

could not turn ignition key

We just had a problem with our 11-month-old OB. My wife parked at the grocery store and when she returned could not start the car. When I later got to the scene, we could not turn the key at all after inserting it. We tried both keys. The wheels were turned most or all of the way when parked, but I am not sure if that was the cause. I'm sure my wife parks that way all the time and this has never happened before. Wiggling the AT shift knob did produce some type of relay clicks up near the key, and the security light was out. Holding down the brake pedal didn't help, and it did feel more firm than normal. Adjusting the steering column was much harder than normal. I suppose this might indicate undue stress on the steering system.

I returned with tools and disconnected the battery ground terminal, thinking an electronic reset might help. It did. I was able to wiggle things a bit more and then the key would turn. I had tried the same wiggling before the reset with no luck.

Any one else have this happen? Could it really be down to the steering wheel position when shut down?

My wife's trust of the 2008 OB is now in question. Her 1998 V70 before that never left her stranded.

--Lee

The steering wheel was locked binding the ignition. It's not a problem, it's normal. Next time jiggle the steering wheel while turning the key and it will release.

It was more than likely this, but beware... my car started doing this awhile back. It started happening more frequently until one day I couldn't get the key to move at all no matter what I tried. The ignition cylinder had to be replaced - under warranty of course.

The steering wheel was locked binding the ignition. It's not a problem, it's normal. Next time jiggle the steering wheel while turning the key and it will release.

When this first happened to me a few months back, I had no clue it was normal. I panicked, seriously :lol:

That was the very first thing we tried (repeatedly). Sorry if I didn't make that clear. There was ZERO key movement until I recycled the electronics.

That was the very first thing we tried (repeatedly). Sorry if I didn't make that clear. There was ZERO key movement until I recycled the electronics.

Did you jiggle or actually pull down on the wheel? What I'll do is pull down on the wheel (direction opposite in which the wheels are turned) and then turn the key.

We tried everything. I am well aware of turning the wheel to relieve pressure from the lock (been doing it for 27 years), but that wasn't working.

It happened again this morning on the first attempt of starting with the wheel locked (experiment). After a while of trying everything again, we got it going and took it to the dealer. Of course, we couldn't get it to stick for the life of us. They lubed the locking mechanism, but it seems unlikely that was the issue. My wife will try not to leave the wheel locked when she parks (I never do), but we'll see how that goes.

--Lee

The dealer lubed things up inside the wheel column and it hasn't happened again. However, we also are avoiding locking the wheel. So, this doesn't seem resolved at this point. Its now a case of telling the doctor "it hurts when I do this" and the doctor saying "don't do that".

The ignition key is 100% mechanical, there is nothing electrical that could lock the cylinder or keep it from moving. It's a very basic design (used for 20 years or more), just a spinning cylinder with electrical contact points, no locks. There are only two things that would cause the cylinder to "lock"; ths steering wheel lock (as mentioned earlier) or a problem with the key itself. (burr, mis-cut or not fully inserted).

have you checked your keys? I noticed my 08' key with the remote attached was getting bent slightly, and I was constantly having issues turning the key. I leveled the key as much as i could and its all good now.

The ignition key is 100% mechanical, there is nothing electrical that could lock the cylinder or keep it from moving. It's a very basic design (used for 20 years or more), just a spinning cylinder with electrical contact points, no locks. There are only two things that would cause the cylinder to "lock"; ths steering wheel lock (as mentioned earlier) or a problem with the key itself. (burr, mis-cut or not fully inserted).

leaving an automatic in Drive will also cause the cylinder to lock. my LGT is a 5 speed so when i'm in my wife's auto Forester, i often leave it in Drive out of habit and have to take a few seconds to realize why the key's not turning when i get back in. this isn't the OP's problem though since he said he already checked it but thought i'd add it anyway.

Ever hear of the key lock solenoid? You can easily hear it operate when you wiggle the shifter in park. That's electrically driven.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59934&stc=1&d=1226898787

shift-lock.gif.454e7e199ac6f3ba87bd710ce39b3a1b.gif

• 2 years later...

My wife and I were surprised when the ignition key won't turn in our 2005 Outback. I'd parallel parked really good :-) and left the steering wheel turned all the way over. When we came back the key went in but it wouldn't turn. I tried to straighten the steering wheel but I can't get it to budge. I tried rocking the car but that didn't do anything. Stumped, we walked a couple blocks to a hotel and got a taxi home for $12.

I read this forum and the answer appeared to be to wiggle the steering wheel while turning the key. I rode my bike back to the car, tried this and it immediately started. I was back home in 45 minutes after I left. Thanks!

Archived