LegacyGT.com

brake pad recommendation needed

ilh

I've been reasonably happy with the stock pads and they've lasted me 46,000 miles, so I must not be terribly hard on pads. I wouldn't mind a little more bite, but not a lot. I'm of the opinion that too much bite makes modulation difficult. I would prefer not to go dustier than stock. I find the stock pads quite a bit less dusty than previous cars (VW and Volvo, mostly), which were pretty terrible for brake dust. I would prefer no noise. My stock pads make no noise.

I am not planning any autocross or track time, so this is strictly somewhat spirited street driving. I'm in the Boston area, so pads need to be functional in the Northeastern winter (mild). Rotors will be stock, new if I'm nearing the wear limits.

I was contemplating Hawk HPS or Ceramic. Endless SSM sounds great but is quite a bit pricier.

Recommendations for my application?

Thanks.

--Lee

I'm on the fence between the CarboTech Bobcats as they have a lot lower operating temp but I've heard they are a bit dusty... vs. the Hawk HPS or Ceramics.

I have upgraded front rotors and calipers as well so that makes a huge difference.

Since you're on the stock set-up, I would get a set of the Hawk Ceramics and use the $$$ your saving vs. the Endless SSM on some SS Braided lines...

My .02...

Based on reviews here, ceramics are probably what you're looking for, though I do remember reading one review here recently that one owner's Hawk Ceramics performed worse than stock. FWIW, I just had HPS pads installed over the weekend and love them. Bite is just slightly more aggressive than stock, but definitely not as "catchy" as my wife's OEM GTI pads.

Thanks for the recommendations so far. It will likely come down to HPS vs. Ceramic. I'm leaning toward HPS if dusting is similar to OEM and noise isn't a problem.

Slightly more aggressive bite vs. OEM sounds perfect.

--Lee

Regarding noise, you might want to do a search; i'm getting a little bit of noise, but only when lifting off (just a slight squeak) when the brakes are cold. I'm not sure if others are getting any better or worse. With my case, definitely not a nuisance. Don't forget to bed them properly!

Well, I have set of OEM pads w less than 5k miles I could let go for real cheap if you are interested and we can easily meet as I work next door to you.... (never got chance to try your tires....).

I also have set of used Endless SSM with lots of life left (recently upgraded to Brembos).

Archived