kage

Which upholstery would you take?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Which upholstery would you take?

• Cloth
    • Leather (assume a $1,000 premium)
    • Alcantara (assume a $1,500 premium)
    • Other (explain)

Assuming that upholstery was a stand-alone choice, would you choose cloth, leather, or alcantara (synthetic suede)? Personally I don't understand why alcantara hasn't taken the car upholstery world by storm. It is stain resistant, washable, lower maintenance than leather, doesn't get super hot or super cold, feels uber-plush, and can be had in a myriad of colors.

i'm not familiar with Alcantara -- personally i like cloth - leather just isnt worth the price to me.

I normally prefer leather, but the leather in the GT is cheap compared to VW or Audi. I ended up with leather because I wanted the other goodies that come with the limited package.

Cloth becuase this car gets a lot of stuff put into it and is used as a surf vehicle so it just wouldn't be fair to threat the leather like that. Otherwise I'd choose the leather. I would not want alcantara by its self, combined with leather sure, but alone it wears quite quickly and would begin to look old quick.

Song of Post- Sublime- Burritos

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

I wanted the sunroof, so I had to get leather. I would have liked cloth, but didn't like the cloth in the GT anyways. I looked at the IS300 SportCross, but came to the LGT wagon when they wouldn't do the alcantara on the wagon, only on the sedan.

For the record, the leather in the LGT is softer and more plush than the German cars, or so says my co-worker with an A4. Having had an Accord with leather, I find the Subaru leather to be superior.

Cloth that has good abrasion resistance (like the Subies) will wear like iron. I had a Toyota FX16 with cloth seats. Car had 180k miles on it, but the seats still looked great.

That said, cheap cloth can be bad and wear out quickly. But the Subaru cloth (in the WRX and Leggys) seems like it has enough nylon (or something) in it so it will wear well.

The Subaru leather looks decent, but I don't know how it will wear. I saw a G35 with 23k miles on it and the leather already looked like crap... all cracked up and wrinkled.

The legacy GT leather is really fantastic stuff.

I really like it, it stays very clean and is soft and warm to the touch.

(of course leather comes with the heat so I guess that stands to reason)

I would never choose anything else.

Parousia

I prefer durable 'technical' cloth fabric. My tush slides around on leather seats. Just keep that giant dancing Mars bar avatar off my seats, Kage :eek:

JC, Chicagoland bassist & opentracker

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd wagon

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd sedan

Microfiber cloth.

For those that don't know, Alcantara is a microfiber material that is constructed to feel like suede. My understanding is that it is quite durable, wear resistant, and stain resistant. Alcantara is the European brand name. In the US, it goes under the brand name "Ultrasuede", and in Japan it is called "Ecsaine".

For those that don't know, Alcantara is a microfiber material that is constructed to feel like suede. My understanding is that it is quite durable, wear resistant, and stain resistant. Alcantara is the European brand name. In the US, it goes under the brand name "Ultrasuede", and in Japan it is called "Ecsaine".

Thanks, was just about to ask that. Glad I read the whole thing before posting.

One of us should have bought a non-limited and we could have traded leather for a sunroof. :lol:

I'm not joking, I really would like a sunroof, but no leather.

Does any one know if a "swap" would be possible? Lets say I bought a Limited sedan, and some one else bought a non-limited sedan.

Could we swap seats? I know I would lose the power drivers seat (that dosen't bother me either)

-Nick

I'm not joking, I really would like a sunroof, but no leather.

Does any one know if a "swap" would be possible? Lets say I bought a Limited sedan, and some one else bought a non-limited sedan.

Could we swap seats? I know I would lose the power drivers seat (that dosen't bother me either)

-Nick

I have a non-Limited in IL and I will swap seats with you. PM me and we can talk. ~5K miles no stains or marks on the seats and I don’t smoke in the car.

I have a non-Limited in IL and I will swap seats with you. PM me and we can talk. ~5K miles no stains or marks on the seats and I don’t smoke in the car.

Didn't mean to lead anyone on, I havn't purchased my Legacy yet. Going to be finishing school in about a month, and in the process of looking for a job.

I will keep you all updated, as to when I get my car.

just wanted to make sure it was possible.

-Nick

Didn't mean to lead anyone on, I havn't purchased my Legacy yet. Going to be finishing school in about a month, and in the process of looking for a job.

I will keep you all updated, as to when I get my car.

just wanted to make sure it was possible.

-Nick

You’re not leaning. I hate sunroofs. That’s why I got the un-limited. I wish Subaru would just have options and not packages, but that’s the way the auto world works. Let me know when you get your car ;)

I love leather, but I hate perforated leather. Its a pain in the but to keep clean. When you condition it you have to spend extra time cleaning out the holes. Grrrrr.... Still... Its leather and it has its advantages.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived