LegacyGT.com

'05 GT: belt squeal at start-up, goes away with gas

Hey all. I have an '05 GT that's recently developed a belt squeal, at start. High-pitched belt squealing, it persists until I give it a little gas, then stops. However when driving at really slow speeds (like parking lots), the steering wheel will give some resistance, or shudder a bit.

I've checked the belts and they seem to have good tension, but I've not measured anything specifically. Any ideas of what tests I can try out?

Thanks. :)

I'm pretty sure (but not positive) that when I had my car at Andrewtech Automotive last Fall, the belts were changed. I'd have to go back and check the invoice, but I'm pretty sure. I can double-check the teeth but I think they're in good shape.

I had gone in to have a whole list of preventative maintenance stuff done, and I'm pretty sure new belts were on the item list. (I know they found that the A/C idler pulley wasn't working properly, and replaced that.)

Got this fixed, last week. I stopped by my new mechanic on the way home on Friday, and it turns out the belt was indeed somewhat loose. It didn't feel loose to me, but it must have been just that much off.

He noted that the belt looks to be a little bit too large, which is curious. So if the noise returns, I'll have to get it changed. Perhaps the guys at AndrewTech accidentally put the wrong one on, last Fall when I was there.

• 4 years later...
Check the idler pulley:

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_8/climate/compressor/illustration_1/

It sounds just like a belt squeal when the bearing is hosed...

How bad was the squeal? My dad's (formerly my) 2008 LGT at 105k miles has this horrible squeal at start up and the steering effort is very inconsistent near lock.

I'm probably just going to replace the power steering pump, alternator, and idler pulley at the same time.

How bad was the squeal? My dad's (formerly my) 2008 LGT at 105k miles has this horrible squeal at start up and the steering effort is very inconsistent near lock.

I'm probably just going to replace the power steering pump, alternator, and idler pulley at the same time.

Just tighten the PS belt. spray the bolts with some PB Blaster let it sit for a couple minutes, loosen the bolt then adjust the tensioner and then retighten the bolt.

Had to adjust mine on the 09 Spec B the other day. PS feels much better now.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived