LegacyGT.com

Why not?????

While driving home today - I was thinking - why does USDM Legacy are much less "Cool" than our Japanese counterparts. I mean, you would think it's more economical to share share the parts & overhead costs - front bumper, interior trim, Macintosh Stereo, even the engine (2.0 vs 2.5). Granted the Legacy is assembled in Indiana, but how much more work would it be to use the parts from JDM Legacy, rather than create new bumpers, design the new interior, etc. Besides, with the weak dollar, I would think for 2008/09 Subaru would shift some of the manufacturing to in the Land of the Rising Sun <cough>Legacy STi <cough>, I know BMW is doing it with the X-5 & the Z-4. It just doesn't make any sense...

Ok, I'm done. :mad:

US probably has different specs, laws, regulations (5 mph bumpers, for example).

Also, US buyers (GENERALLY, not everyone) wants low-end torque instead of high-end hp. As well as emissions - the 2.0 twin scroll may not be US emissions legal, etc..

HV

Subaru isn't the only company to sell the cool stuff overseas and not in the US. Lets see in 01 or 02 you could buy a Audi RS4 avant that iirc was 385hp, awd, 6spd manual.....and for you wagon lovers, well a wagon. Later the S6 was avialable in a sedan (US only got wagons), RS6s could be gotten in a wagon, the current RS4 in avialable in wagon, convertable, and sedan (we are supposed to be getting 200-300 convertables sometime). Thats just one car company and not even all the cool stuff we won't see. However on the flip side iirc isn't the Wrx STi rated higher hp in the US then Japan cause of the Evo? The Evo came out in the US in 03 at 275hpish. In 04 to out do Mitsu, Subaru released the Wrx STi with 300hp to out do them. Yes there is a long way to go until we start seeing the real cool stuff come to the US. However the more we push for it, the more likely they'll bring the good stuff. I mean they are bringing a Skyline finally.

US probably has different specs, laws, regulations (5 mph bumpers, for example).

Also, US buyers (GENERALLY, not everyone) wants low-end torque instead of high-end hp. As well as emissions - the 2.0 twin scroll may not be US emissions legal, etc..

HV

I think you hit it on the nose.

But aside from that automobile manufacturers bring in a big chunk of revenue from "parts" sales. Think about it, every part we buy from the dealership has a mark up of at least 400%. Enthusiasts like us are willing to pay these outrages prices to make our cars perform and look better, or *different* and Subaru knows that. I'm sure production costs of these different parts are more than covered from the revenue they bring selling them to various vendors and individuals worlwide.

Just my $0.02

HV

pretty much exactly right.

on the flipside, whats cool about our usdm legacys is the fact that they have the 2.5L block and that nice low end tourqe. Plus that extra displacement allows us to have less lag when we put on bigger turbos.

I also think US buyers want CHEAP. They don't want extra add-ons like fancy stereos and exotic powertrains that will raise the cost of the car. Would you pay 35-40k for a base Legacy GT if it had all the amenities cars in that price range do? I sure as hell wouldn't, it's still a rattle bucket Subaru with a So-So interior. I'd be buying an Audi or BMW. In other countries (like Australia) the Legacy is branded as a more up-market car with more up-market options because people there are willing to pay for it.

Also, most Americans like crappy American cars/SUVs so Subaru probably doesn't feel they have to try as hard to win us over with better optioned cars. They stick to the basics and offer a little as possible to keep us happy (or unhappy as the case may be).

I would be willing to bet that regulations (environmental, safety, import/export, trade restrictions) account for 90% of the difference.

Besides, how many of us would be whining if we got the same stuff as JDM offers? I can hear it now: "Why don't we ever get anything unique!?" :rolleyes:

While driving home today - I was thinking - why does USDM Legacy are much less "Cool" than our Japanese counterparts. I mean, you would think it's more economical to share share the parts & overhead costs - front bumper, interior trim, Macintosh Stereo, even the engine (2.0 vs 2.5). Granted the Legacy is assembled in Indiana, but how much more work would it be to use the parts from JDM Legacy, rather than create new bumpers, design the new interior, etc. Besides, with the weak dollar, I would think for 2008/09 Subaru would shift some of the manufacturing to in the Land of the Rising Sun <cough>Legacy STi <cough>, I know BMW is doing it with the X-5 & the Z-4. It just doesn't make any sense...

Ok, I'm done. :mad:

I often wonder that myself but then think that there must be some dude in Japan thinking "Why can't we get that awesome 2.5L like those round-eyed American bastards?"

It may not be JDM, but at least we're not stuck with only buying cars prodcued by the ADM...

Archived