LegacyGT.com

K&N alternative?

Sioux-BRue

I got a blackstone uoa that says my k&n panel filter is working just fine... What's the problem with k&n?

Can't imagine you're knitpicking flow rates.

Do you have a before and after (OEM UOA, K&N UOA) by any chance? I've looked over Bobistheoilguy a lot, but could never find a direct before then after comparisons. I've personally used K&N, AFE Prodry in previous cars (Wix only in the Suby so far), but never did UOA's for comparison.

Dan

Oiled filters are not optimal for MAF'ed vehicles as they are known to gum up the maf flow sensor over a period of time. I'm all for dry filters. I've been using OEM, and STP dry filters for quite a while without issue.

I'll agree with that having seen bad MAFs from over oiling before. I'll also add, that turbos do tend to suck the oil out of oiled filters, removing what is part of the filtration system. AFE pro dry was a great filter in my SRT which dried out the K&N easily. Getting older now, I think I care more to have the best filtration of a paper over any minimal performance gains of a "performance" filter. If I had to though, the pro-dry was really good quality, I'de probably buy another one of those. But like I said...I don't have or have yet to see any back to back UOA's that show a % increase of silicon in the oil buy using "performance" filters. I have however seen several UOA's that show on average higher silicon compared to paper filter, but without consistent data its difficult to get hard numbers.

Dan

Dan

I don't have a baseline UOA with a stock air filter, but my insolubles/silicon were well within safe ranges with my current newly oiled K&N filter (maybe 5k miles since re-oiled).

Key is to not over oil them, obviously, and let them dry completely before installing, and I have two of them for that purpose. You should consider cleaning the MAF sensor occasionally anyway.

Archived