LegacyGT.com

From the OB to ....

dubunderpar

So I am selling my OB and buying something new very soon, and in my searches I have seen a bunch of stuff that has caught my eye, but I have some simple yet important standards. Turbo and AWD, plus the room in the back for 2 car seats. I have always wanted another subie, but with resale value so high, anything in my budget is high mileage or beat. Found a few mint mazdaspeed6's in my area, and I must say it is a sweet ride. Not as nice inside as my limited OB, but still nice. I can pick up a ms6 with around 60-70k miles for 12-13K. I had my mind set up that I was going to get one, until I drove home last night and spotted an 05 LGT near my mother in laws house. 42k miles, limited, one owner, no accidents for 14,900. the only issue is, it's a 5eat. After driving the MS6 with a 6 spd it's hard to look at another automatic. But is this subie too good of a deal to pass up on? Thoughts?

• Moderators

Does sound like a good deal. I have owned both a 5MT LGT (09) and now own a 5EAT LGT Wagon (05, obviously) and have to say that I'm slowly getting used to the automatic. Not quite as fun as the 5MT, but certainly practical, especially if you are dealing with two kids in the back. The Sport mode makes the auto behave a bit more like you might want it to. Unavoidable downside seems to be a dip in mileage.

I picked up the wagon back in the beginning of October, similar setup--one owner, clean, no accidents, blah blah blah--from a private seller for $13.5k with a full set of winter wheels/tires. The car had just shy of 54,000 miles when I bought it. I bet you could talk them down in price a bit and end up with a great car.

On another note, might want to check the fitment of your carseats in the back...Subies can be a bit tight with rear seat room, even Leggys.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I would definitely be buying it if it was a wagon, but I'm just not sure about the sedan in an auto. I already know how tight the back seats of subies are, which makes me even more hesitant. I might go drive it and see if it changes my mind.

5th gen sedan back seats are humongous!

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

Car seats do become booster seats pretty quickly, and they're much less bulky. I have a 11 month old in a beefy car seat, and a 5 year old in a simple booster. Ironic that the 11 month old takes up more comaprtment space! The 5EAT is aslo more kid friendly as others have posted. Sounds like it's worth considering at least. I'm in a similar boat with our vehicle needs . . . Good luck with your decision!

I wouldn't mind a 5th gen, but a) there are none to be found b) they go for way more than I would pay for a LGT. Sorry but for 30k I can buy something much more appealing. I know that the auto is more family friendly, that's why my current subaru is an auto, but if I am going to give up my OB that I love, it better be for something better with little to no settling on what I'm looking for. The quest continues...

Archived