LegacyGT.com

1997 Legacy GT Sti Aftermarket Parts

Hi there everyone, I'm new to the scene here and I am going to but a 1997 Legacy Gt this week for 300 Dollars...Missing an Engine so I'm buying the same Stock engine that was in it just has 133k on it and in great condition. Once I get that done I am wanting to get a Cold Air Intake in it and some other mods to make it sound nice and gain some Horsepower and Speed. I was hoping that maybe you guys could give me some Brand names or some tips on what to do. My goal is to have a Cold Air Intake, Turbo (way down the line), Sports Shifter and Clutch, and some nice wheels. Thank you =)

Hi there everyone, I'm new to the scene here and I am going to but a 1997 Legacy Gt Sti this week for 300 Dollars...Missing an Engine so I'm buying a The same engine that was in it just has 133k on it and in great condition. Once I get that done I am hoping to get a Cold Air Intake in it and some other mods to make it sound nice and gain some Horsepower and Speed. I was hoping that maybe you guys could give me some Brand names or some tips on what to do. My goal is to have a Cold Air Intake, Turbo, Sports Shifter and Clutch, and some nice wheels. Thank you =)

1) It's not an STi.

2) Intake and exhaust mods will hardly increase performance at all, so go into this knowing that before you get your hopes up. Unless you put a lot of money into cams and a tune ($$$), you aren't really going to notice many gains except a throaty sound.

3) Don't consider a turbo until you have thousands of dollars laying around. It's not easy or cheap to turbo an N/A Legacy, as a general rule.

Oh thanks guys, and sorry about the Sti thing bud. On the slip I got the Title on what the car is says 1997 Subaru Legacy Sti that's why I put it. Thought it meant the same thing, and I thought I wouldn't get much of a HP gain or anything out of an Intake but they sound nice and that's a little of what I wanted. I will do something more expensive way down the line, But all in all I just want to make the car nice :)

hey ulrey91 welcome to the forums,

Pretty much everything burnout said is true, we cant have high numbers unless we have the dollars that go with it. there is a turbo kit for our cars though (well for the impreza but it will most likely work out. There is also a supercharger kit that is also for our cars (well impreza too lol).

As for me Im not a power fan at all as ill take heavy suspension mods any day, such as coilovers or struts from 02-07 wrx or 04STi's, sway bars, struts, endlinks, and all that good stuff. I like to arrive fashionably late;)

If you already havent bought the engine yet, you can always slap in a ej207 engine from a wrx. those are 2.0 turbo engine's which makes a nice 220hp stock, add a downpipe, turboback and tune and you can make a nice 246whp which you will definitely be happy with.

Wow thanks, sad thing is that the Ej207 sounds like ALOT more then 1250 bucks rofl and that's what the current legacy stock engine will cost me. I'm not really looking for alot of power as much as I'm looking for nice sounds and a nice look :) Thanks alot though, Great info!

Ulrey, this kind of thing happens all the time. The truth is even if you were put in those power mods and eventually make an acceptable amount of power, you would be spending WAY more than just buying a faster car in the first place. In short: you're just wasting your money on mods at this point, since they devalue the car (that is unless you make it a monster, which would be a TON of cash).

My suggestion: I've been there, and I know how it feels to really want just a few extra horsepower on the car. Save up all those paychecks you're getting, and go get yourself a wrx or something with the amount of power or handling you want. It will take time, but it's worth; trust me. Anything else and you're really just throwing money away for minimal gains.

Ulrey, this kind of thing happens all the time. The truth is even if you were put in those power mods and eventually make an acceptable amount of power, you would be spending WAY more than just buying a faster car in the first place. In short: you're just wasting your money on mods at this point, since they devalue the car (that is unless you make it a monster, which would be a TON of cash).

My suggestion: I've been there, and I know how it feels to really want just a few extra horsepower on the car. Save up all those paychecks you're getting, and go get yourself a wrx or something with the amount of power or handling you want. It will take time, but it's worth; trust me. Anything else and you're really just throwing money away for minimal gains.

Thanks bud. I understand that completely, for the time being however I think I will just drop in a 1997 2.5L for my car, same one that comes stock and just add maybe a Cool Air Intake and an Exhaust for now. I was looking into buying a EJ207 Engine from an Impreza and sticking it in but I can't find any for lower than 2500.

Thanks bud. I understand that completely, for the time being however I think I will just drop in a 1997 2.5L for my car, same one that comes stock and just add maybe a Cool Air Intake and an Exhaust for now. I was looking into buying a EJ207 Engine from an Impreza and sticking it in but I can't find any for lower than 2500.

Save up a little more for the EJ207 it would def be worth it. Just take the bus for the time being :).

Lol or Dad's truck :p but quick question on that. Will the EJ207 just sit in or do I have to buy a crap load of other parts to make it work. Because if I'm selling my current car for 1200. Buying an Engineless 97 Leggie Gt for 300 and an engine for....1500? I don't have alot of spare change just sitting around lol.

My bad that wasn't very descriptive, Here is the specs. EJ20TT Legacy Twin Turbo Engine Long Block Assembly, Turbos Included, No Intercooler, No ECU. No Idea what the ECU or Intercooler means btw...(Ima noob >.<)

ECU= Engine Control Unit ( the engines Brain)

Intercooler= Basically a air to air radiator that goes in between the outlet on the turbo and the inlet on the Throttle body. It cools the charged air before it hits the throttle body to make better, more usable power. When you look at a STI it has a TMIC (Top Mount Intercooler) That is the part that is on the top of the motor in the picture bellow.

A EJ20TT is a completely different beast. Twin turbo and alot more parts to deal with. That IIRC is from the older (early 90's ) legacy's. Which would mean more work and most likely not be smog legal for your car. I would look for a wrecked USDM (US Domestic Market, IE: a American car) WRX and get all your parts from that. There are ALOT of shops that know how to do the swap. PDX Tuning and Rallitek both in PDX are pros at that stuff.

Hope any of this helps you.

pd3.jpg.94d4cb4460ec7d157b8a770649ec0382.jpg

Yeah thanks alot, Cleared it all up for me. For now however I found a JDM EJ25 that came stock on my car (2.5L, 168 HP, 178lbs Tourqe for 800 and free shipping) so I'm going to go with that, maybe later on I will grab a EJ207 or sumthin but for now I just need my car to run, I have alot I'm going to do on it so I will have time. Thanks again.

Archived