LegacyGT.com

tires rubbing on wheel wells

mattglo737

I bought a new set of wheels for my winter tires, http://www.wheelmax.com/product.asp?ProdId=11845 Now that I have put them on, the tires rub on the wheels wells when I accelerate fast around turns, or when I have extra weight in the car, "like 1 extra 200lb person." What do I need to do to fix this without spending more than I did on the wheels???

-Matt

The wheels are 18X7.5 and the tires are 215X45X18. Not positive about the offset, there were two options on the website for a 35 offset and a 45 offset. I'm pretty sure I got the 35. What are we supposed to have? WEX62-187535DH-SL is the way the wheel is shown on my bill. So I would assume that meant 18X7.5 with a 35 offset...

Do you know where it is actually rubbing?

When I had my 18x8s mounted I had some rubbing in the rear. It was noticeable when additional weight was in the car. The cause was a lip weight that was installed on the inside lip of the wheel. It was rubbing against the rear plastic fender liner. I fixed the problem by cutting away some of the plastic fender liner and no more rub!

Assuming standard tire sizing, a 215 tire on an ET35 wheel is about the same as a 255 tire on an ET55 wheel, in terms of where the outboard face of the tire is. And that seems likely to rub -- I had 245's on ET48 wheels, and they rubbed on plastic fender liner. HPH

After a 30min convo with the people at wheelmax.com, they will be sending me new wheels with a 45mm offset and mounting the tires on and paying for shipping. So it didn't turn out too bad... 215/45R18 is stock on spec.B. And the tires were rubbing in the back when there was extra weight and on the plastic things. I'm pretty sure that the new offset wheel will make a really big difference.

Archived