LegacyGT.com

Ethical Dilemma

str8dwn

Having worked for local bike and stereo shops growing up, I know the negative impact an internet shopper can have on a local biz.

Customer comes in and says can you match the online price...answer is almost always no. Then he comes back and gives you the service business to install his new online purchase.

It's hard to pass up a major discount on the stuff you want just to support the local shop. In my case, I have a fantastic local guy I'd like to install and fine tune the new Hertz components I want. He's charging retail for them (which he has every right to do), but online they are $300 less for the MLK 165.

The retail price puts them out of my price range, which means I'd have to go for the lower model HSK.

What would you do in the same situation?

being one who works in a stereo shop myself... I am very familiar with this situation.

At least 3 times a week a customer comes in with the same thing. Often times we turn away people who bring in outside equipment simply for the reason that there is nothing we can do if the product is defective, and often times it isnt worth the hassle for us.

Personally, I think buying from a local, authorized dealer is better in the long haul. 9/10 companies only honor warranties if the product was bought from an authorized dealer. Having a local guy who you trust and will be there for you is invaluable. I can't tell you how often and easy it is for us to just simply replace a defective product without any hassle at the store I work at. Easier for both the customer and us.

But I do understand your situation. Ultimately its up to what you want to do. Personally, Id wait slightly on purchasing, just to save up some more to cover the increased cost. Maybe even your local guy would be willing to help you out if you tell him your situation. Im sure it wont be nearly as good of a deal but you will have that sense of security.

Just my .02

I guess I'm one of these internet shoppers...

My advice, buy online, but if you are giving it to local guy for install, give him generous tip on top of labor. This way: you win, local guy is happy, and your conscience is clear.

I have been there too. My problem wasnt just paying full retail for equipment, but on top of that you have to pay top dollar to have it installed. I have had three different experiences.

1. Bought online and installed myself.

$3000.00 sounded amazing but took months to get it all right

2. Paid for equipment and install at same shop.

$5000.00 Sounded clean but you could tell the money was in the install and custom work not the components.

3. Bought online and paid shop to install.

$2500.00Terrible install work. Sheet rock screws drilled into my truck floor to secure my amps down. More sheet rock screws to hold my door speakers in.

If you have seen work that your local guy has done than I would consider it, but I dont think I will ever pay to have anything installed that I think I can do myself. Nobody is going to be as careful or put as much thought into your car as you are.

I agree, having them install it is better than giving them no business at all.

You gotta save money where you can, especially in the economy today.

Dont make sacrifices on what you want. If you feel bad about it make a donation later when you have the money to the shop.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I have been there too. My problem wasnt just paying full retail for equipment, but on top of that you have to pay top dollar to have it installed. I have had three different experiences.

1. Bought online and installed myself.

$3000.00 sounded amazing but took months to get it all right

If you have seen work that your local guy has done than I would consider it, but I dont think I will ever pay to have anything installed that I think I can do myself. Nobody is going to be as careful or put as much thought into your car as you are.

Nobody is going to be as careful or put as much thought into your car as you are

The local guy is a well-known and highly respected IASCA champion. I've viewed his work and it is clean and done right. I plan to have him rebuild the doors so they are truly solid. In addition, he'll add the tweets in the pillars to improve imaging. Then, he'll tweak the sound with the EQ in my 360.2 and maybe rebuild my amp rack in the rear tire well. The whole install never came out as slick and good-sounding as I wanted.

I plan to ask him about coming to a mutual price. Thx guys.

well computer support is different than people installing your car audio for you.

its the equivalent of someone bringing you a dell to work on seb.

I agree with you tho, I do not troubleshoot my user's home machines and if it does not work I immediately blame it on the machine or their home environment if it works with my equipment.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Archived