LegacyGT.com

Headlight Issue

This posting is in continuation to the one from Bostonian737 (friend helping me)...but I will re-cap:

I bought a Legacy 3.0R about a week and a half ago. When i picked it up there was a little condensation in both headlights. The problem got worse when I drove it for longer periods of time. The dealership swapped out the headlights. I then took it on a long drive and there was even more condensation in the new headlights. So it went back to the dealership- they contacted Subaru and found that the vents were blocked. Apparently the vent plugs were never removed when the car was assembled. So, they removed the plugs and tested the car and only a little condensation remained. They kept the car another day to apparently let them dry out. They test drove it again and the condensation went away.

I am supposed to get my car back today but I am concerned that there was so much moisture in there. The dealership thinks that the combo of removing the vent plugs along with letting them dry is sufficient. It still bothers me that all they essentially did was let them dry out. Would you be concerned or just let it go since the problem should now be fixed? The dealership says that there's nothing to wroory about.

Don't take any guff from those swine!

Seriously, call them up and tell them that you just picked up the car and the condensation returned in a matter of hours. Since you have already brought it in twice within the week, I think it would be fair to demand a brand new headlight assembly/assemblies depending on if it's one or both.

Make sure your invoice records putting in a new assembly as a warranty item, it will be itemized under the service performed.

I have contacted the dealer and they are contacting Subaru again. I have requested new headlights at this point. I think that request is reasonable since this is afterall a BRAND new car! Previously they had just taken them off another new car on the lot and swapped them out.

The dealer has seen what I am talking about and they have agreed that it's not normal. I think they were hoping that it would had dried out on it's own since they removed those plugs in the vents...but there's obviously some moisture still in them. The condensation is only visible when the headlights have been on for a while and warm.

The whole thing about the plugs being left in the vents perplexes me. They claimed it was an error on the assembly line. But that means that is happened to the original lights and the car that they swapped them out with. There should be more out there with this problem???

I have contacted the dealer and they are contacting Subaru again. I have requested new headlights at this point. I think that request is reasonable since this is afterall a BRAND new car! Previously they had just taken them off another new car on the lot and swapped them out.

The dealer has seen what I am talking about and they have agreed that it's not normal. I think they were hoping that it would had dried out on it's own since they removed those plugs in the vents...but there's obviously some moisture still in them. The condensation is only visible when the headlights have been on for a while and warm.

The whole thing about the plugs being left in the vents perplexes me. They claimed it was an error on the assembly line. But that means that is happened to the original lights and the car that they swapped them out with. There should be more out there with this problem???

IIRC correctly the headlight vents don't come plugged, but they do have a one-way valve that is supposed to only let moisture out...if they took those out completely it will probably fog worse than before...they need to be there and be installed correctly.

Also remember, if the car is parked somewhere warm (garage) and then driven out in the cold (or vice versa) some condensation may occur, and is perfectly normal. However it shouldn't last very long...

I have a 3.0R purchased back in July, and have not had that problem. I'd say it was a fluke on the assembly line. At least it's nothing mechanically-hindering the vehicle from operation. Use your warranty, the dealership acknowledges the problem, and it should be taken care of.

I have a 3.0R purchased back in July, and have not had that problem. I'd say it was a fluke on the assembly line. At least it's nothing mechanically-hindering the vehicle from operation. Use your warranty, the dealership acknowledges the problem, and it should be taken care of.

maybe cuz he's in MA and we're in LA tdoggydog.

I havent seen this either, and i bought mine end of sept. But the temp difference between his ambient air and ours could throw out that comparission.

maybe cuz he's in MA and we're in LA tdoggydog.

I havent seen this either, and i bought mine end of sept. But the temp difference between his ambient air and ours could throw out that comparission.

Produced out of the same factory in Indiana, no doubt.

The condensation is not just a little fog- you can see tiny beads of moisture....although it does come and go with the heating and cooling when the car is running. I have a hard time believeing that that is condensation would be normal normal on a brand new car...even if I am in MA with freezing cold weather!!

Now- Opies says that the vents are supposed to have one-way valves- no "plugs" as my dealer says...that is interesting...I will mention that to them when it goes back in today to have the newly ordered headlights installed. Maybe they can show it.

I seem to be getting a mixed bag of info regarding these vents...someone said the headlights are not infact sealed becasue of these vents yet now someone says they have these one-way valves that only let air out...so what's the real deal???

Thanks...i just found it in the urban dictionary!

Yeah- clear headlights after my drive home last night...kinda funny. But after seeing them yesterday AM after my drive into work I called the dealership freaking out and they are ordering the new ones to be installed today. If that doesn't solve the issue I don't know what to do!!

I don't understand the coming and going of it....maybe it's drying out and working it's way out over time???

The car was out last night- no heat in garage. I am not driving the car today- so I am not sure what today will bring. The dealer will probably think I'm crazy if it goes in today and they look OK. But whatever...I think I have a right at this point to get the new ones anyways...but hopefully they don't bring more problems...or have the same issue!

I also have condensation. Sept 07 build date for me.

I would not consider it very bad. A very slight residue in the bump that covers the low beam projector. Usually it is only there is in after a cold morning and disappears after the light has been on a few minutes.

I also have condensation. Sept 07 build date for me.

I would not consider it very bad. A very slight residue in the bump that covers the low beam projector. Usually it is only there is in after a cold morning and disappears after the light has been on a few minutes.

That type of condensation sounds perfectly normal.

Archived