LegacyGT.com

LCA bushings problem

bobo69

i just got my bushings pressed in and got the LCA's back in, went for a little test drive, went to recheck everything and what i see next scares me. the bushing on the passenger's side has slid out of the LCA! has anybody else had this problem or perhaps some reason why it is happening?

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n268/michaelyan/img168.jpg

like so? turns my passenger LCA was tweaked when the bushing was first pressed in or the oem was pressed out. Had the LCA replaced, shop took care of me right. If you need a new LCA, it is ~$90 shipped from subaruparts.com

Good luck

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n268/michaelyan/img168.jpg

like so? turns my passenger LCA was tweaked when the bushing was first pressed in or the oem was pressed out. Had the LCA replaced, shop took care of me right. If you need a new LCA, it is ~$90 shipped from subaruparts.com

Good luck

Mike

YOU SIR ARE A SAVIOUR!! that is exactly what happened. i had the dealership press in the bushings so maybe they will help me out. only one way to find out. . .

i'd hazard a guess and say that the lca may have been tweaked during the oem bushing removal or initial super pro bushing install. if it is something the dealer did, they should take care of you with a new LCA.

mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

Actually, the root problem is that they are too small. Superpro bushings have a diameter of 60.08mm, versus the stock bushing diameter of 60.25mm. We found this out over here when as we were initially using Superpro bushings, and have since stopped using them and have manufactured our own to correct specification.

It is a small difference, yes, but it is more than enough to make a difference in that location. We'll be replacing any customers bushings in the states as soon as we get our testing done. We have also improved the design considerably to remove other faults we have found in that design as well.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

Actually, the root problem is that they are too small. Superpro bushings have a diameter of 60.08mm, versus the stock bushing diameter of 60.25mm. We found this out over here when as we were initially using Superpro bushings, and have since stopped using them and have manufactured our own to correct specification.

It is a small difference, yes, but it is more than enough to make a difference in that location. We'll be replacing any customers bushings in the states as soon as we get our testing done. We have also improved the design considerably to remove other faults we have found in that design as well.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen

www.avoturboworld.com

:eek::eek::eek:

Do you mean you will be replacing Fulcrum bushings bought via Rallitek?

yikes!!!! :eek: All the bushings ive pressed in have went in snug. But there is lot of force in that joint. I guess .17mm makes a difference if the bushings are sliding out like that. Good thing ive go the perrin PSRS. they have a lip on one side so they cant slide up like that.

tf**k, I am going cross country Wednesday!!! With kids and all... I guess I should put the stockers back.

Or - is there a possibility there is a difference between alu and steel arms - the part # for the bushings are different between alu and steel arms, despite the bushings look the same.

Anyway I have them pressed in the alu (spec B) arms anyway.

I think you will be ok unclemat. Youre bushings went in without a hitch. If you still feel uneasy, you could always tack weld the outer ring of the bushings to the control arm. that way it wont more nomatter what.

Don't worry, it's not going to fall out suddenly or anything like that. You will be just fine on your trip. Because of (Subaru) manufacturer tolerances, there is a possibility that the moons will align wrong and it can slip out on some people's cars.

We've put in something to the new design to ensure that it won't come out. :)

Cheers,

Paul Hansen

Don't worry, it's not going to fall out suddenly or anything like that. You will be just fine on your trip. Because of (Subaru) manufacturer tolerances, there is a possibility that the moons will align wrong and it can slip out on some people's cars.

We've put in something to the new design to ensure that it won't come out. :)

Cheers,

Paul Hansen

what does this magical bushing look like?

Cheers,

Paul Hansen

www.avoturboworld.com

Dang, wish I knew about this before I ordered the Superpros. So, does anyone suggest I return the superpros and get something else?

I'll post pics as soon as I have one in my hands, waiting for them to arrive meself.

In terms of current LCA reliability, I should mention that I have the older design in my car, and I doubt anybody has abused their suspension more than I have. They have stayed together despite competitive racing. The front end is getting pulled apart today, so I'll get a look under there to see how they are doing. Basically, nobody needs to worry about them overly much. But we are still going to replace the ones that we sent out, as we would rather be safe than sorry.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen

I'll post pics as soon as I have one in my hands, waiting for them to arrive meself.

In terms of current LCA reliability, I should mention that I have the older design in my car, and I doubt anybody has abused their suspension more than I have. They have stayed together despite competitive racing. The front end is getting pulled apart today, so I'll get a look under there to see how they are doing. Basically, nobody needs to worry about them overly much. But we are still going to replace the ones that we sent out, as we would rather be safe than sorry.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen

www.avoturboworld.com

So, I ordered and received a set through RalliTek, although have not had time to install yet...what you're saying is that I should be hearing from them about an exchange, right?

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

As other readers have suggested, I agree that "the arm may have been tweaked" either during the removal of the original bushings or the installation of the new SuperPro bushings. There are a couple of ways that this could have happened. One possibility is that too large a press tool was used when removing the original bushes from the arm, and as a result, the hole in the arm was stretched/enlarged. Conversely, if too small a press tool was used, it's possible it lodged inside the original shell as it was being pressed out - expanding the original shell and, by extension, the hole in the control arm.

The SuperPro bushings were designed to suit genuine steel control arms, and the size of the SuperPro shell is a faithful replica of the original part at 59.95mm diameter, not 60.08 as claimed in earlier comments:

http://www.globalperformanceparts.com/2801.jpg

This is so the control arm is not stretched when the new bushings are pressed into place (an interference fit of 0.10mm to 0.15mm is required). This also allows for a genuine bush to be refitted, if ever needed. From what I gather, mikeryan and bobo69 have had no issues since getting new control arms, which I assume the SuperPro bushes went into. If I am wrong about this, please let me know.

Just to be clear, the picture above shows an OE part and a SuperPro part. Should anyone have any questions or comments, please feel free to post in this thread or contact me directly.

Thanks,

Zach Thomas

Global Performance Parts / SuperPro USA

zacht@globalperformanceparts.com

(616) 399-9025

Archived