LegacyGT.com

2007 overheating

This is my first post since I purchased my legacy last week. I took it on a road trip this weekend and 80 miles on the highway it overheated. Its not overheating during the city driving. One thing I noticed today when I started it up was only the drive side fan was running. Should both the fans be running once started or do they alternate?

The 2nd fan comes on (should) when the coolant gets to a certain temp ( don't know what that is).

When hot both fans should be running. You'll have to check the connections and relay for the fan that's not running. Also possible that the temp sensor is malfunctioning.

Start with the wire check etc. Someone else can chime in on what else to look for and check.

O.

I picked it up from the local subaru dealership. I have had it in their shop and all they did was replace the thermostat. After a 30 min drive home it was back overheating. Needless to say I'm pretty sour about the deal. It seems like their might be a leak in the hose or a connection. Would a leak in the hose cause it to overheat?

I picked it up from the local subaru dealership. I have had it in their shop and all they did was replace the thermostat. After a 30 min drive home it was back overheating. Needless to say I'm pretty sour about the deal. It seems like their might be a leak in the hose or a connection. Would a leak in the hose cause it to overheat?

It could, yes. But you'd notice coolant most likely (in the engine bay, dried in the engine bay, or underneath the car), and you should smell it also.

My '01 Outback had a pinhole leak about a month ago, and I immediately smelled coolant, and noticed coolant pooled in small nooks and crannies (along with dried on the engine cover) in the engine bay.

Overheating in traffic is caused by lack of airflow - fans etc. Overheating at highway speed is a water flow (or lack of water) issue. Once you have loast enough water though, it will overheat everywhere. Is there no sign of water loss - side tank level is OK? Check Radiator top tank - COLD! If the water level is ok, give it a rev, and watch for hoses collapsing somewhere .

Unlikely you have had 2 bad thermostats.

jp 08 gtb 6mt wagon.

Sounds like two things are happening. Overheating in highway driving while the car is moving is, as mentioned, a flow issue. It could be a leak (smell coolant), air in system, it could be a bad thermostat, a clogged radiator, or my personal favorite...water pump failure!

Overheating in traffic can involve some of the above but the fans and temp sensor for the fans are always suspect in this situation.

Archived