LegacyGT.com

GD Thieves!

So today I get up at 6 am and like usual start heading to school still half asleep and not really knowing what's going on. On my way to class, I start hearing a thumping sound every time I slow the car down. Still half asleep, I thought nothing of it... On my way back, I was now awake because I was confident that I had completely bombed an exam, I again heard the noise. So I simply pull into my usual car shop that's on my way home and figure I'd get it checked out. As I start inspecting, I realize that I have 4 lugnuts on each tire missing except for my lock that's on each. I call home and my brother confirms to me that all my lug nuts are on the driveway including a random torque wrench. I look at the locks and realize that the people had tried using pliers or something because the sides looked chewed up. So besides the fact that I am happy that I had magically decided to invest in a set of locks, I am now considering a good aftermarket alarm. Any good ones out there? I know the Viper's are good. I want one with a shock alarm that would rape the crap out of any theif that tries to mess with my car...

thieves suck! luckily you've got good lugs/locks so they didnt ruin your week completely. there are really good alarms out there, all dependent upon your budget. someone once recommended to me to look into alarms for convertibles, stating they have the best proximity alert and shock sensibility. GL with the shopping and locating your neighborhood thugs.

So today I get up at 6 am and like usual start heading to school still half asleep and not really knowing what's going on. On my way to class, I start hearing a thumping sound every time I slow the car down. Still half asleep, I thought nothing of it... On my way back, I was now awake because I was confident that I had completely bombed an exam, I again heard the noise. So I simply pull into my usual car shop that's on my way home and figure I'd get it checked out. As I start inspecting, I realize that I have 4 lugnuts on each tire missing except for my lock that's on each. I call home and my brother confirms to me that all my lug nuts are on the driveway including a random torque wrench. I look at the locks and realize that the people had tried using pliers or something because the sides looked chewed up. So besides the fact that I am happy that I had magically decided to invest in a set of locks, I am now considering a good aftermarket alarm. Any good ones out there? I know the Viper's are good. I want one with a shock alarm that would rape the crap out of any theif that tries to mess with my car...

Do you have expensive aftermarket wheels? I have WRX wheels on my OB but bought a set of McGard locks just in case.

Also sometimes the GD thieves steal the wheels to get money for the tires only.

Do you have expensive aftermarket wheels? I have WRX wheels on my OB but bought a set of McGard locks just in case.

Also sometimes the GD thieves steal the wheels to get money for the tires only.

That's the funny thing...I have regular stock '05 LGT wheels....Sad...

I have a Compustar system in my car that has a shock sensor. Thunder with set it off, it will also go off if someone lightly bumps the car, and you get notified on the remote.

But their remotes suck and are really expensive. I have had the car for 2 years and had to replace the remote once and it's like $110, and now the one I had to buy is going bad.

best car alarm is the one in south africa. its for anti car jacking, but pretty sure you can mod it for this kind of bullshit.

heres the link

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc]YouTube - South African Car Flamethrower[/ame]

best car alarm is the one in south africa. its for anti car jacking, but pretty sure you can mod it for this kind of bullshit.

heres the link

YouTube - South African Car Flamethrower

beat me to it :lol:

they took off all four standard lugs FROM EACH WHEEL?!?! either those guys are incredibly stupid or someone might be mad at you :eek:

thank goodness they didn't do anymore damage... good luck with the shock sensor shopping

Yeah those people were really stupid. And the tires were def. not RE92. In fact if they were, I would have preferred they get stolen...lol. I think that flamethrower one might def. be pretty bad a$$ on my car but may be a tad bit illegal...

Wow, you'd think they would give up once they couldn't get past the first lock.

Well from the looks of the locks, they were trying hard to undue them without making noise. The locks are scuffed and scratched up with one having some chew marks in it. So I think they were desperate for at least one wheel. I also found that there were cinder blocks in my neighbors yard. I dunno if they were trying to get his or if they just ditched the blocks there. It's just so pathetic that people would go so low to do that. Just think, on my way home I was thinking of hitting up Wal-Mart to go get some oil. For me to go to Wal-Mart I use the highway. Had I not heard the thumping sound, I swear I don't think I'd be here righting this right now. Instead I'd either be in an ICU bed or at a funeral home getting cleaned up for burial. I just thank God that the noise was there and that I caught it before anything happened.

And if you're wondering, I did hit up Wal-Mart after the incident to get the big 5 quart Pennzoil Synthetic...lol. I must admit though, I was kind of scared driving having visions of a wheel falling off...

I have a coworker that found a pair of feet sticking out from under his car when he went to the store. The guy was trying to steal his spare from under the car. As the guy was running into his truck trying to get away, he forgot his wrench. My coworker sent the wrench flying through the guys back window.

If I were you, adjust the car's alarm so it more sensitive over stock. I have the pot set between factory and minimum setting. It will go off if you shake the car.

I have a coworker that found a pair of feet sticking out from under his car when he went to the store. The guy was trying to steal his spare from under the car. As the guy was running into his truck trying to get away, he forgot his wrench. My coworker sent the wrench flying through the guys back window.

If I were you, adjust the car's alarm so it more sensitive over stock. I have the pot set between factory and minimum setting. It will go off if you shake the car.

scotty sorry for the dumb question you mean you can adjust the setting of your stock car alarm if yes how

First check if you have the shock sensor. Open the hood. Turn on the alarm and wait about 60 seconds for it to activate. The flashing light on the dash will change. Then release the hood from about 1 foot high. It should be enough to set off the alarm.

There are two ways to adjust the shock sensor. One is to take it to the dealer where they adjust it electronically.

The second way is to remove the little black box that is bolted under the front passenger seat. Remove the connector, unbolt it from the rail. Pop the cover off and slide out the circuit board. You will see a potentiometer on the circuit board. They usually mark where the factory setting is. Adjust that to somewhere between the factory and the absolute minimum, I think you turn it counter-clockwise, can't remember. Put everything back in place. Arm the alarm and test it by kicking the tires or shaking the car. Repeat the process until it is adjusted to your liking.

Obviously keep in mind of natural sounds in the surrounding. I did have it go off once at my gf's house that is next to the railroad tracks. Not fun scrambling for the key at 2AM, though I was awake from the train before the alarm went off. But it never did it again.

First check if you have the shock sensor. Open the hood. Turn on the alarm and wait about 60 seconds for it to activate. The flashing light on the dash will change. Then release the hood from about 1 foot high. It should be enough to set off the alarm.

There are two ways to adjust the shock sensor. One is to take it to the dealer where they adjust it electronically.

The second way is to remove the little black box that is bolted under the front passenger seat. Remove the connector, unbolt it from the rail. Pop the cover off and slide out the circuit board. You will see a potentiometer on the circuit board. They usually mark where the factory setting is. Adjust that to somewhere between the factory and the absolute minimum, I think you turn it counter-clockwise, can't remember. Put everything back in place. Arm the alarm and test it by kicking the tires or shaking the car. Repeat the process until it is adjusted to your liking.

Obviously keep in mind of natural sounds in the surrounding. I did have it go off once at my gf's house that is next to the railroad tracks. Not fun scrambling for the key at 2AM, though I was awake from the train before the alarm went off. But it never did it again.

Were you awake because of the train or something else? 2AM at the gf's house? Sounds a little naughty to me... lol

I have the Zenesis Alarm System that Josh at Import Image sells.

I bought and installed shortly after somebody smashed my window. All the people stole were some oakley's and surprisingly enough the aux cord for my ipod. They didn't take the XM satellite receiver or mess with the radar detector.

I have the ZN-502 system and its performed pretty well so far. The only bad thing is I live in the DC metro area so the range of the remote is a lot smaller than the advertised 1 mile open range. But the shock sensors definitely work. It has a light shock and a strong shock sensor and the system will send a signal to the remote telling you if either of the sensors go off. Its been stormy lately and the thunder and some strong gusts of wind have been setting the light shock and occasionaly the strong shock sensor off.

check it out. I'm happy with it so far.

I'm thinkin I should get some wheel locks now.

Archived