LegacyGT.com

Are Tein H.techs really a good substitute for Eibachs?

Hanslo

Based on all of the descriptions and specs etc, I had just decided to get some Eibachs when they dissappeared. They really seem to be exactly what I want (reduced roll and squat etc, comfortable, mild cosmetic drop). I see that the Tein H.techs are being advertised as comparable to the Eibachs. Do you all think this is really true?

I have posted a WTB in a couple of places for some Eibachs but if this doesn't pan out I'm thinking about getting some H.techs instead.

Thanks,

Hanslo

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

call around to third party dealers....TR.com was the last place I KNEW had a set. They must have been sold yesterday....and I know to who then...lol

most guys dont do drop shipping, so if you can find someone who sold them before may have a set on the shelf in back....doesnt hurt to call

-Travis

Rob (rao) you're a fine gentleman, thanks I guess.

h techs give an even drop all around, comes nose up from the factory so it'll still be nose up a bit after installing the springs, wasn't as noticeable when i had them on my car though and i think the drop is nice

in terms of performance, they're meh. i have coilovers now and it's probably about 100x better, and some.

call around to third party dealers....

I've called Tirerack (2x), Fredbeans, THMotorsports, LPI Racing, Drivewire, Autoanything, Summitracing, and a couple Ebay vendors and all have said the same thing - discontinued and out of stock. I'll probably keep trying but it sure doesn't look good.

...in terms of performance, they're meh...

I'm not looking for "Fast and Furious" just maybe a +1 over stock. I am pleased with the feel of the Cobb anti-sway bars. I'm just hoping for a little bit more control with moderate springs. Did you find the H.techs to be better than your stock springs?

Thanks for everyone's input so far,

Hanslo

h techs give an even drop all around, comes nose up from the factory so it'll still be nose up a bit after installing the springs, wasn't as noticeable when i had them on my car though and i think the drop is nice

please be aware that the drop is a bit more, that and one of the biggist cosmetics draws for the eibachs I saw was that it would level the car out, the h. techs do not do this.

As for cosmetics maybe some 3/8" saggy butt shims would bias the drop toward the front a bit to "even" things out? That would work for me. I'm only looking for enough drop for the tires to look concentric with the wheel wells.

..while the h techs will have some of the same handling characteristics that the eibachs had..

As for performance i'm looking for something that will reduce roll and squat somewhat while maintaining near stock comfort. I understand this automatically limits performance gains but if the H.techs can achieve this as well as the Eibachs are purported to do I would be satisfied.

Impulse - what is your real-world impression of them?

Thanks,

Hanslo

i have h-techs on konis and the drop is pretty even, better then it looked fromt he factory. If you run spec b tophats (bilsteins) the front is going to look higher because of the tophat.

i had eibachs on my v6 acord and the ride was very smooth even on stock shocks. i think the h-techs are a little more firm but that could be the difference in application (acord vs. lgt) and also the shocks (konis on the lgt vs stock then kyb on the acord).

that said i think the h-tecxhs will fit your needs since the eibachs are no longer around.

BTW pic in sig is stock suspension

in terms of performance, they're meh. i have coilovers now and it's probably about 100x better, and some.

It's not fair to compare any spring alone to a coilover setup, especially if your springs are on the stock KYBs. It's like comparing a Ferrari to a Neon.

I'm running the H-Techs and they are a nice spring. As my only suspension mod, they've gotten rid of a lot of roll, brake dive, and acceleration squat (stg 2 power). Pics of my car on page 3 http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120774&page=3

Thanks for the feedback guys. I tend to sweat over and second guess myself a lot when it comes to decisions like this. I spent a lot of time reviewing specs and comments about the various suspension combinations and finally decided on the Eibachs (with stock struts) and BAM they're gone. Now I'm kinda fixated. I'm willing to bet that the H-techs would work for me but i'm going to hold out a bit longer and see if I can locate some Eibachs or become convinced about the H-techs.

I'd like to continue to invite members that have experience with the H-techs and especially if they have had the opportunity to compare the H-techs and the Eibachs to post their thoughts here.

Sincere thanks,

Hanslo

What kind of wheel setup are you going to run Hanslo? Your wheel and tire combo is going to have a lot more to do with ride quality than H-Techs or Eibachs.

When I switched from oem size wheels and tires to 225/40/18s, the ride got much harsher in my car. Then I put the H-Techs on, and I can honestly say that I don't notice a whole lot of difference in ride quality. I can definitely tell they are firmer than the stock springs, but when I switch back to my oem wheels for winter, I'm betting the ride will be near stock.

I have bottomed out a few times, but it is only ever in one place, which is my buddy's condo complex. I think the construction guys got confused and built curbs instead of speed bumps. lol

Agreed - excellent writeup... but it's a wagon :( haha! J/K

I need to get off my butt and post some pics of my JDM Bilstein/Pinks setup for you guys, so you can see. I took pre-post pictures, and could probably afford to take pictures again now, after over a year's worth of settling...

Originally posted by bochinam:

H-Techs are a solid upgrade for a street driven car. Not too low, not too stiff and they actually improve the corner weights. My old write up here:

Wow indeed. Cool experiment. I can't believe I missed that. I did a ton of searching.

Stoplight- I'm currently still on stock rims and RE92s (I posted a thread a little while ago called "A little love for RE92s" or something like that). Anyway I plan to do my suspension upgrade at Thanksgiving break with my father and brother. Right around the same time I'll be getting some continental contiextreme contacts in 225/45/17 on the stock rims. I'm thinking that the slightly thicker sidewalls will help reduce any added harshness from aftermarket springs.

-Hanslo

I've been looking around and calling places like mad for some eibachs, but to no avail. I've looked at some writeups for the Ralliteks as well. After reviewing some threads on the H. Techs, I'll have to flip a coin about the two. If I do go with the H-Techs, I'll probably get a set of saggy butt shims for the rears

Here is a good writeup for Rallitek. Hopefully, it'll help you.

Originally Posted by madcatz http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/viewpost.gif

(Click the orange arrow to get to a chart posted in madcatz's thread. Sorry I couldn't copy the chart over without messing up the format)

Zenfamily-

If I understand this correctly, the ralliteks are lower and stiffer than the Eibachs and H-techs. A few springs are supposedly designed to match the OEM or OEM replacement struts/shocks including the eibachs, H-techs and I believe the cobbs and ralliteks. But from comments I have been reading the cobbs and ralliteks are lower and firmer than the H-techs and eibachs. So it depends on what you are after. But of course we are now differentiating within a subset of modest springs.

-Hanslo

Thanks for the feedback guys. I tend to sweat over and second guess myself a lot when it comes to decisions like this. I spent a lot of time reviewing specs and comments about the various suspension combinations and finally decided on the Eibachs (with stock struts) and BAM they're gone. Now I'm kinda fixated. I'm willing to bet that the H-techs would work for me but i'm going to hold out a bit longer and see if I can locate some Eibachs or become convinced about the H-techs.

I'd like to continue to invite members that have experience with the H-techs and especially if they have had the opportunity to compare the H-techs and the Eibachs to post their thoughts here.

Sincere thanks,

Hanslo

I feel your pain Hanslo. I have been "researching", what I call spending WAY too much time here on these forums, since I joined back in '04. I finally had decided exactly what I wanted to do for the suspension only to find out these springs had been discontinued. I fell just on the other side of coin and was able to get one of the last sets of Eibachs out there. Perhaps if you have a little more patience some of these people buying the Eibachs will discover they aren't what they were hoping for and you'll find them for sale in the classifieds.

Anyway, good luck with your search!

I feel your pain Hanslo. I have been "researching", what I call spending WAY too much time here on these forums, since I joined back in '04. I finally had decided exactly what I wanted to do for the suspension only to find out these springs had been discontinued. I fell just on the other side of coin and was able to get one of the last sets of Eibachs out there. Perhaps if you have a little more patience some of these people buying the Eibachs will discover they aren't what they were hoping for and you'll find them for sale in the classifieds.

Anyway, good luck with your search!

Thanks goneskiian. Here's crossing my fingers. Another member here may be coming to my rescue...

Archived