LegacyGT.com

Please help. Car audio.

tDoug60

So I've been slowly putting my audio system together and now I'm at the final steps. I currently have kicker amp kit, a 5 channel kicker amp and lucky just traded for a L5 sub.

So with this set up would it be ok to put it on a stock HU or should I upgrade to a single din unit?

Also I notice my front speakers starting to crack, I search on crutch field for our car and they say the front speakers can fit multiple sizes I can't see that being right.

6 1/2.

5 3/4

6 3/4

Anyone the correct size for the front and back ?

So I've been slowly putting my audio system together and now I'm at the final steps. I currently have kicker amp kit, a 5 channel kicker amp and lucky just traded for a L5 sub.

So with this set up would it be ok to put it on a stock HU or should I upgrade to a single din unit?

Also I notice my front speakers starting to crack, I search on crutch field for our car and they say the front speakers can fit multiple sizes I can't see that being right.

6 1/2.

5 3/4

6 3/4

Anyone the correct size for the front and back ?

All those speakers will fit with brackets. I believe 6-1/2 is the stock size. At least, that's what size I replaced my stocks with.

Go with 6.5" or 6.75" components up front. Anything smaller is just silly.

You should either replace the head unit or get some sort of processor if you've come this far already. Keeping the crappy EQ of the stock head unit would be a waste. JL, JBL, Alpine, and several other manufacturers make processors with various features so you can pick the right one for you.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

if you're going to go with a cheap radio at lest go with a good brand like pioneer/kenwood/sony/jvc. those decks are serious garbage

You consider Sony better car audio over boss...

Being a profesional installer for the past 7 years, yes.

Yes sony has a had decks (see xplod) from walmart that are garbage as well but Boss makes terrible radios. I don't know what's worse, DUAL or Boss.

You consider Sony better car audio over boss...

If you're only considering junk like Boss/Dual, just stick with factory. It's not worth the time or effort to install that stuff. Factory is better.

But like already said, Pioneer, Kenwood, and JVC all make pretty cheap head units with basic features that are plenty nice. I built a really nice system around a cheap Pioneer head unit several years ago, was really happy with it for the price.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

• 2 weeks later...

SOOO getting a single din where can I get a wire harness and the adaptors for the single din.

Also if I was going single din can I still still gauges in the cubby in the car?

If anyone could attach a link to DIY for a single din pls do. Thanks you in advance

I have a 07 LGT with auto was looking to drop 100 on a unit and I would imagine 50 for the new plate and wire kit.

But I've been reading and it seems like the only place to put a single din is in the cubby hole above the stock radio. If that's the case. I'm not sure what I will do since I was going to use that cubby for my gauges and I already have the pod for the cubby.

Any suggestions?

well then, you need to try cleansweep or bite the bullet and buy the JDM double din setup

others have created their own setups

use search

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

Wow really that sucks. It doesn't make sense to not have a kit to swap on a single din radio to where the original one was, would a double din fit where the original was or Would it go into the cubby aswell.

So I need to spend 300$ on a jdm kit just to install a aftermarket single or double din radio... How lame.

In short, the auto climate controls are tied in with the stereo. You either get the JDM unit for double din or put the stereo in the cubby. Or maybe try putting it in the glove box somewhere or something. Not sure. If you had manual climate controls, basically all non-gt's, it is possible to just get the double din face plate to put an aftermarket stereo in the stock location. If you don't want to spend the serious cash to do the jdm swap, which it seems like you don't, or lose the cubby area for your gauges, then a cleansweep or something similar is all you have available.

It is covered extensively in this forum, the information is out there along with how different people have done different setups. Just need to use the search and go through a lot of threads.

Archived