LegacyGT.com

So anybody on here done some LED light swaps? I was thinking of putting LED lights in to replace my current dome and map light bulbs. Anybody done this before? If so let me know what site or where ya got em'. Also anybody do a reverse light LED swap? Not sure if it would be cool or not, but I figured I have the HID's on the headlights so why not the reverse lights.

I also plan on putting some new Yellow HID fogs on the suby, she's gonnna look awesome at night :cool:

I have LED turn signals and reverse lights. I'll post a video in a bit, but they ARE nice. The instant on/off is nice for the turn signals, and the bright white reverse lights have actually led to comments from people, as ridiculous as that sounds.

when you put the LED turn signals in, did you have to add the flasher for it too? i hear that the LEDs dont run hot enough to trigger the traditional blinker relays.

i was just starting to price out the LED brake lights. looks like i can be lazy and get them for about 10 a piece locally, and a bit cheaper online.

First off, yes you need an electronic flasher unit. It cost me like $12 from superbrightleds.com. It actually has room to slide in nice and snug next to the stock one, so all you need to do is unplug that one and move the plug over to the new one.

Do NOT cheap out on LED bulbs. You need to get SMD diodes if you want them to be around the same brightness as stock bulbs. This is mainly a result of our reflectors not really being the greatest for LED bulbs as they do not output light evenly in a full arc. Additionally, you want to ensure you get bulbs that match the color of the lenses or you will lose light output. For reference, I paid a lot for each one of my SMD bulbs ($24 each) and they are pretty much equivalent to stock bulb brightness... I think. Might even be a hair dimmer to be honest.

In case you wanted to know what they looked like (it was bright out, and the sun was facing the front of the car, so the front turn signals look a bit dim because it's bright as hell out):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSvhiANlAOg]LED Turn Signals and Reverse Lights - YouTube[/ame]

I have done LED upgrades on my Protege and love how "new" it makes the car look. I can't wait to start on my Legacy once I get some more important mechanical work done. When you get the bulbs for the dome lights go for the one that has 4 smd's on a square board (superbrightleds.com) It is WAY brighter than stock bulbs and has even distribution of light.

I have done LED upgrades on my Protege and love how "new" it makes the car look. I can't wait to start on my Legacy once I get some more important mechanical work done. When you get the bulbs for the dome lights go for the one that has 4 smd's on a square board (superbrightleds.com) It is WAY brighter than stock bulbs and has even distribution of light.

Oh? No hotspots? Link and photos? Also blood of first born?

I took a different route. I upgraded all the bulbs on the car using these.

http://store.candlepower.com/taillights.html = Turn signal and stop

http://store.candlepower.com/796upgradebulb.html = Reverse

http://store.candlepower.com/2886x.html = License Plate

It's all about lumens of output. These are noticeably brighter than the ones I replaced.

Someone above said to match the led color output to lens color, (like a red led behind a red lens). Not true. You want the brightest, whitest light behind that colored lens for optimum output.

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Calm down there chief! Diode Dynamics doesn't have anything for cars before 2000 anyway. I wouldn't contact them.

There is nothing he can direct supply that is a direct fit for 2nd gen? Given the opportunity he just might put something together. I would certainly give him the chance.

There is nothing he can direct supply that is a direct fit for 2nd gen? Given the opportunity he just might put something together. I would certainly give him the chance.

These are simple cars with simple, common bulb requirements. Here are several choices from just one vendor. http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Ftail-brake-turn.html

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

I'm not saying that they won't have it, I'm saying you should take into consideration that he might be confused on what the vendor has because of it's online stock. Since you're the one that brought it up, he might have figured you knew something about the vendor. I mean, you could've just said "Google it" or "I don't know". I hate to see innocent people get jumped for asking a question.

Yeah I saw that vendor had all kinds of bulbs for newer cars, im not into doing a bunch of wiring and all that. Im just looking to put some LED bulbs in my cabin and map light. A friend of mine has them inside his Mazda 3, and he said they are very easy to do, just haven't been able to get a hold of him. I figured you guys knew of a place to order em for that works for our year car. Sorry for any confusion lol.

I took a different route. I upgraded all the bulbs on the car using these.

http://store.candlepower.com/taillights.html = Turn signal and stop

http://store.candlepower.com/796upgradebulb.html = Reverse

http://store.candlepower.com/2886x.html = License Plate

It's all about lumens of output. These are noticeably brighter than the ones I replaced.

Someone above said to match the led color output to lens color, (like a red led behind a red lens). Not true. You want the brightest, whitest light behind that colored lens for optimum output.

Steven, can you make a short video please?

I'm not saying that they won't have it, I'm saying you should take into consideration that he might be confused on what the vendor has because of it's online stock. Since you're the one that brought it up, he might have figured you knew something about the vendor. I mean, you could've just said "Google it" or "I don't know". I hate to see innocent people get jumped for asking a question.

What you are saying is not ANYTHING useful Taylor. Since you are the one complaining about my post in a thread that is not even yours that is derailing the thread and insulting to a long time member I can only suggest that maybe you grow thicker skin before logging onto the interwebz? I jumped him by telling him to contact the LGT.com vendor who will go out of his way to support us? :rolleyes: Giving him a vendor that respects and supports this community was much better than GOOGLE IT you twit.

Yeah I saw that vendor had all kinds of bulbs for newer cars, im not into doing a bunch of wiring and all that.

No one said do a bunch of wiring. Lots of kinds of direct fit LEDs. /unsub

Sorry, but you're wrong there. This is a rule that does not apply to regular bulbs, but is an important distinguishing characteristic for LEDs.

For a normal bulb, you simply want the brightest white bulb possible. This is because the bulb emits truly white light, and then the colored lens on the vehicle will filter all the light out and allow only the red or orange portion of the spectrum to pass through. You want the brightest bulb possible so that when you effectively cut out some of the other light, you still have a bright bulb. You also don't want a colored bulb, because all you are doing is making the bulb dimmer by filtering the red or orange portion twice - which is basically like putting two layers of tint on your windows.

LEDs function differently from regular bulbs in how they generate light. They are really only good at producing a certain color of light. It was actually rather challenging to create a "white" LED originally. You might notice that some LEDs do this by using three colors (much like a pixel on your LCD screen). The most common way is to use a fluorescent material that absorbs some lower wavelengths and re-emits it across the visible spectrum. So putting a colored filter in front of a white LED results in light which has been absorbed and re-emitted (with some loss) and then additionally filtered down to a single color.

There is a reason that every single LED bulb site posts a notice saying that the bulb color you buy must match the color of the lens on your vehicle. It's not a made-up lie - there is a very reasonable scientific explanation behind it.

So anybody on here done some LED light swaps? I was thinking of putting LED lights in to replace my current dome and map light bulbs. Anybody done this before? If so let me know what site or where ya got em'. Also anybody do a reverse light LED swap? Not sure if it would be cool or not, but I figured I have the HID's on the headlights so why not the reverse lights.

I also plan on putting some new Yellow HID fogs on the suby, she's gonnna look awesome at night :cool:

Try superbrightleds.com. I used one of theirs for the licence plate lights.

The problem with putting LED in reverse light is that LEDs are not bright enough and usually shine in one direction unless they are multi-LED bulbs.

What you are saying is not ANYTHING useful Taylor. Since you are the one complaining about my post in a thread that is not even yours that is derailing the thread and insulting to a long time member I can only suggest that maybe you grow thicker skin before logging onto the interwebz? I jumped him by telling him to contact the LGT.com vendor who will go out of his way to support us? :rolleyes: Giving him a vendor that respects and supports this community was much better than GOOGLE IT you twit.

If you were trying to be helpful, you wouldn't have all caps raged him for asking you a question. Sorry for getting off topic, but try to watch your tone over the "interwebz" because you come off as very angry, not helpful. Isn't that what this thread is about? People helping each other?

First off, yes you need an electronic flasher unit. It cost me like $12 from superbrightleds.com. It actually has room to slide in nice and snug next to the stock one, so all you need to do is unplug that one and move the plug over to the new one.

Which flasher did you get? Was it the CF18-08? I have a 97 Legacy wagon.

Thxs, Tom

Archived