LegacyGT.com

Older car tuning?

westu37

Now I know that this thread could get ugly, but I have a serious question that I'd like a serious answer...

Is there any tuning options on pre-05 cars?

I'd be looking into the 2000-2004 legacy platform, the 97-99, or the pre obdII 92-94 legacies. the Engine options would be ej22, ej25d, ez30(?)<--2000-04 Outback H6

I have a friend that loves these body styles and wants to keep the cars. I'd like to know if there is ANY OPTIONS to tune a N/A car from these years; most specifically the 92-94 ej22, or 2000-04 ez30.

I haven't been able to get a solid answer from trolling through the threads.

Any info from tuners are welcome.

Wes.

While I don't know the answer to your question, I do have another question for you.

What is your friend hoping to gain from a tune on a NA boxer?

I would bother with it maybe from a mpg standpoing, but for power it is a waste of time since no meaningful gains can be had, unless of course finding a tuning solution is stupid easy and cheap/free.

On a N/A car, your best option is to find someone that makes "tuned chips" for your model year, such as Superchips for an example. The tuner would have to take out your old chip and replace it with the tuned chip. Like stated above, there's not much to gain beside more throttle response.
My wife's balls are delicious.

The big reason I'd be looking at tuning is because, frankly, I'm a nut and want to build a motor for my buddy's car that is a step up in power and still has decent fuel consumption.

The 3.0L questions would be for his wifes LL Bean. As for the 3.0L, this would be just for seat of the pants feeling of improvement, or tweaking some more life out od a otherwise stock engine. My personal feeling is that just re-setting the ECU will help after mods like an intake and ehaust, but if there is an option to optimize the air/fuel ratio with such modifications, I'd be interested.

The other vehicle would be my buddy's 92 Legacy L 2.2L FWD.

Yes, I know, WHY BOTHER.......

Well he loves the car, just put money into the suspension and wheels/tires.

I'd like to help him build a hybrid motor of sorts...

My thought is the 2.2L block with ej25D heads, and then just minor things like intake, and exhaust, and was thinking about cams id there is anything that I can find that fit the D heads. With the extra breathing, again, I thing more tuning should be used to optimize this setup.

Wes

Archived