LegacyGT.com

Lowering My Outback

Hi All-

Before we start I know there are many people that do not agree with lowing certain cars, I respect your opinion, but please keep this thread on topic and clean. Thanks!

New member here, long time member to NASIOC, so bear with me as I learn about my new vehicle. I just purchased a 2009 2.5i Outback. I have searched a good amount about coilovers for the outback, but I wanted to ask straight out what people think. I have read SublimeJoe's thread about Legacy coilovers vs. outback coilovers here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/coilovers-outback-181286.html

I am looking for coilovers that I can put on and drop that car about 2-4 inches around, without having to modify anything else. (If that is even possible.) So please make your recommendations and school me with what you already know.

Other fact is that I use to own a 2004 WRX, and I was running Megan Racing coilovers on the vehicle. And they seemed to do well. So again please make your recommendations and thank you in advanced for the help.

-Tim!

CN: Recommend me Coilovers for my outback, I want teh lowz.

FYI Megan makes a coilover specifically for the outback

I prefer the bilsteins with lowering springs, but I don't get picky with my ride height.

Also, you may want to get LGT rear bumpstops, they're shorter than the OB, or you may be able to remove them with coilovers, but I do NOT know for sure....

Wes

Right out of the box the coilovers were set too low for me, so I had them adjusted to 15" from the wheel arch to the center of the wheel which is a slightly lower height than a Legacy wagon (15.2 front/14.8 rear). I wanted to keep with the 225/55/17 tires. You do need to replace the rear bump stop, or you can cut them, that what I did at first ($39 each).

I did have to replace the rear control arms because they were frozen I could not get the rear aligned.

I choose the BC Coilovers because after a cost analyis the cost of doing the Legacy swap, the Fred Bean gut and cut, or the Bilstein HD set-up was more than the BC Coilovers. Remember the analysis was based on everything being purchased new. I could not reason purchasing used struts, but that's me.

Other than a wheel alignment there was no other cost. Import Image Racing was great to deal with and the shop (Ron's Auto) I used did a great job.

Nelson

It all sounds good. I just need to make the decision if I even want to go down the path of replacing the control arms and replacing the rear bump stop.

Just bought the car so I am going to drive it as is until next summer, which gives me time to plan accordingly if I decide to mod.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Tim

What I did, I purchased my OBXT.07 with 47K and I replaced the front and rear sway bars and end link first. Then a year later with 68K one strut was leaking and another was starting to go, so I replaced them with the BC Coilovers. As for the rear control arms, that was because mine were frozen and the only way to get them off was to cut them. That might not happen with yours. The bump stop, can be cut, it's a rubber piece, a fine blade cut right through it.

Nelson

Archived