LegacyGT.com

Mass and Surrounding: Help with uppipe install

Pedestrian

Hello all, I have just recently purchased an uppipe for my GT, and have found that local shops are charging in the $250 range for installation, which is a little steep in my book. Does anyone here know of any New England shops that will cut a good deal on uppipe install? And if not, I am going to probably do it myself, but it would behoove me to have a little help from some more experienced members. If there are any members that would like to help me out on an upcoming weekend, I am more than willing to provide food and beverage for the day. I am located in Waltham, Mass. I would appreciate any help. If not, Ill just have to bite the bullet on the install price.

Thanks,

Ben

+1 :cool: Cool indeed.

I've always simply thought that it was "good form" to feed your labor/guide. :lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Well, I have a generic tool set, your average assortments of wrenches, ratchets, etc. What specialty tools will I need that I should look into purchasing? Anyway, firedawgs, and whoever else is interested, I would greatly appreciate whatever help you have to offer. If you are serious about this, we can start working on dates that will work for everyone(pretty much any weekend is great for me). As I mentioned before, I am more than willing to cater to all those who participate with food and beverage, and also if any of you are ever in need of any sort of assistance, Illl be more than happy to accomodate if I can.

Pedestrian :

(1) "Compact" 22mm offset O2 "wrench" - it's actually a socket. Usually about 10-bucks from any automotive supplies retailer. Be aware of the drive ratchet size when getting this part.

I'd *HIGHLY* recommend that you obtain the offset O2 wrench, as without it, you'll have to make-do with a pair of "vise-grips" for this dis-installation, and that's going to be quite tough. Nothing like rounding off your O2-sensor nut to completely ruin your day.

(2) Be sure you have a "deep-well" 14mm socket, again in your ratchet drive size. If you can't find an appropriate one, a deep-well 7/16th will do, just take some extra care so that you don't round-off the nut.

(3) Plenty of penetrating solution. Not WD-40. Get actual penetrating solution.

(4) 2.2Kohm, 1/2-Watt resistor for the UP EGT delete. Radio Shack is your easiest sure-fire bet. Some electrical tape, too, of course.

(5a) Extensions for your ratchet.

(5b) 3-ft. cheater/breaker bar.

(6) Torque wrench.

(7) Jackstands or ramps. Wheel chuck. Be safe. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Pedestrian :

(1) "Compact" 22mm offset O2 "wrench" - it's actually a socket. Usually about 10-bucks from any automotive supplies retailer. Be aware of the drive ratchet size when getting this part.

I'd *HIGHLY* recommend that you obtain the offset O2 wrench, as without it, you'll have to make-do with a pair of "vise-grips" for this dis-installation, and that's going to be quite tough. Nothing like rounding off your O2-sensor nut to completely ruin your day.

i had no problem using lockin pliers....it didnt round it off or anything

^^^

Oops! Sorry 'bout that.

I meant to say that my homework previous to doing the install showed that using locking pliers or vice-grips should enable removal of the O2 with little complication, if any. - A few members recommended this method if I could not find an appropriate O2 wrench.

And that, however, trying to do so simply with pliers or even an open crecent wrench was cited as being much harder, if not impossible.

Sorry 'bout that, and AWD, thanks for the correction. :)

See this is what happens when you're at work, and typing too fast for your brain to keep up! :lol:

I would love to help, but I have never done it. The most complicated install I have done is the STS shifter. If you need help with that let me know. I work in Waltham.

Where in Waltham do you work? I havent seen any other modded GTs rolling around here.

Archived