LegacyGT.com

If available and under $40k would you buy a LGT STi?

Inspired from the do you think SOA would bring the Liberty tuned by STi thread .

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66866

Would you honestly be willing to trade in your car for an actual LGT STI?

Here would be the limits/perimeters

Cost. starting under $40k (probably $38kish)

powertrain would be the same as a Wrx Sti's 300/300

say only availabe in two colors (like the Sti Limited)

unfortunately since we don't have one now....no wagon version for the US market

6 speed manual only

nav optional

the rest of the car would be same as the tuned by Sti cars in Japan and Austriala(ie suspension,exhaust,interior)

left hand drive

Brembo brakes

say 500 made first year

With all those rules/limits would you positively trade your car in for one?

Would you strongly think about trading in your car for one?

Would you wait a couple of years until you found a cheaper used one?

Would you rather just mod what you have and pocket the difference?

I am fully aware that right now its a complete pipe dream, but say if we had the choice how many people would actually step up?How many people are just blowing smoke about getting one?

Cause if there are enough people on here willing to do it, if someone could help me maybe we could forward this to SOA and try to open their eyes a little that this car could sell here. You never know if you don't at least try to do something. Otherwise all we can do is sit here and p*** and moan about how SOA doesn't give us the cars we want.

Remember the LGT Sti would have a full factory warranty to it.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I wouldn't trade in. Subaru has gotten enough money out of me for the B. I don't regret it, but they are DRAGGING their feet with this one. It took 2 years to bring the STI to the Impreza lineup here in the states (following the intro of the WRX). 08 year is already rolling out for the Legacy and still no STI version........

....hello, McFly....is anyone home???

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

The timing would have to be right. Had a Leggy STI been available last summer with the "specs" you describe, I would've ponied up the extra cash. Now, I'd have to wait a couple of years to trade my current ride in.

Subaru should add more features to the B. I wouldn't buy, nor would it make sense to sell, an STi version Legacy at that price point. I wonder how much money it would take for them to develop the STi version and how many they'd have to sell in order to sell it at $34k-ish. I think it would be great to have an STi version that had a factory warranty.. and if it was just a matter of bolting on the STi parts, banging out a few pipes, I couldn't imagine the costs to be wildly unfeasable. Not to say it would cost nothing...

But an STi version that sat a one to two thousand above the B (which they should just drop in this case) would be attractive.

But an STi version that sat a one to two thousand above the B (which they should just drop in this case) would be attractive.

The Spec B and the STi version should be at the same price point....the STi should be just like the '05 un-limited....no leather, no heated seats, no power seats, no sunroof, etc. and the B should be equipped as it is now.

No way would I pay 30K+ for that kind of LGT (hey, no offense to spec b owners, but I would not pay that much for a B either). Now, a twin turbo flat 6 with 350+ HP conservatively rated (a la BMW 335) and I might consider it for 35K. For 35-40K I'll get a G35 or stripped down BMW 335. That's if I was BUYING. If I were to lease, I would get a bmw 335, period (I've seen some leases going for about $500 per month).

Inspired from the do you think SOA would bring the Liberty tuned by STi thread .

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66866

Would you honestly be willing to trade in your car for an actual LGT STI?

Here would be the limits/perimeters

Cost. starting under $40k (probably $38kish)

powertrain would be the same as a Wrx Sti's 300/300

say only availabe in two colors (like the Sti Limited)

unfortunately since we don't have one now....no wagon version for the US market

6 speed manual only

nav optional

the rest of the car would be same as the tuned by Sti cars in Japan and Austriala(ie suspension,exhaust,interior)

left hand drive

Brembo brakes

say 500 made first year

With all those rules/limits would you positively trade your car in for one?

Would you strongly think about trading in your car for one?

Would you wait a couple of years until you found a cheaper used one?

Would you rather just mod what you have and pocket the difference?

I am fully aware that right now its a complete pipe dream, but say if we had the choice how many people would actually step up?How many people are just blowing smoke about getting one?

Cause if there are enough people on here willing to do it, if someone could help me maybe we could forward this to SOA and try to open their eyes a little that this car could sell here. You never know if you don't at least try to do something. Otherwise all we can do is sit here and p*** and moan about how SOA doesn't give us the cars we want.

Remember the LGT Sti would have a full factory warranty to it.

335xi seems like a crazy nice deal for 45. get a procede chip and say goodbye to teh subaru.

For that price, I'd need a minimum of 350hp/350tq with....and this is important Subaru.....MY FRIGGIN' CHOICE OF COLOR. Two options of shades of "just like a million cars on the road" silver/gray with one interior color do not make a premium car.

Now, give me my choice of options and that kind of power with a 6 speed (read better than a new G35) for 35-40k and sign me up.

I used to have a BMW and my wife's got a BMW, my car was and her car is a miserable vehicle plagued by problems. Her car has 56K miles, we've spent over $5K in repairs on the darn thing. That's more than I spent on repairs on my past three Subies combined with over 250K in mileage on them. I can't remember how much my old BMW cost me with repairs, but it wasn't cheap either.

The service we've received at Subaru blows the doors off the service offered by BMW. After she saw the service Subaru offered to me with my old 98 Legacy L and then compared that to the service she got for her BMW, she was absolutely ticked and vowed never to buy another BMW. We'll be upgrading to a Subie Outback because of the service and attitude we've received from BMW.

When it works, it is a nice vehicle, but when she's given the choice between her 3 series and my Spec. B, she chooses my car. Darn it.

But, sure a 335xi is a nice car, it looks nice, I'm sure is very quick, and if you'd rather have a BMW, that's just fine. Buy it for the brand and the "Oh... I've got a BMW and my car is the ultimate driving machine." Sure, many people are impressed by the name brand, but phooey on that. I lived in Germany for a few years and appreciated how stable the BMWs were at autobahn speeds in excess of 150 km/h. In its defense, her car handles quite well on the autobahn, but it is a pain in the butt around town.

It sounds really lame, but I couldn't suck it up and pay more for a car that has more problems than a Subie and less space, but I also don't need a status symbol.

I'm sure YMMV and many BMWs are decent cars that don't have lots of stupid little problems that we've both experienced and some dealers aren't total jerks that do crappy service with a lot of attitude, but our experience with them is terrible. Then again, maybe the BMW dealers in DC are just evil.

A friend of mine who just returned from Germany is getting a 335Ci and it'll be fun to take his car for a spin and see how it compares. Maybe I'll get him to take it out to the track...

I tried configuring a BMW 335xi on their website, but you can't configure all the options yet to compare. I configured a 335i like my spec.b and I was pushing $46K. I paid somewhere around $32K or $33K for my Spec.B. I figure adding AWD to a 335i will bring the price up another couple grand. So, as a guesstimate, I'd say a comparably equipped 335xi would be about $48K to a Subaru at $33K. So, comparing a 335 with a Spec.B isn't really comparing cars in the same financial niche. Make it a $40K STI and compare that with a $48K car... that gets a little closer. Is it reasonable? You decide. Does the 335 have a nicer interior? Yes. Does it have a nicer this and that to a Spec.B? Sure. But, it also costs $15K more. Why stop there. Heck, a Mercedes AMG is a much nicer car than my Subie... shocking.

Maybe I was too quick to say I'll buy up a Leggy STI at $40K - I'd probably need to look and see what else was in the ballpark for a $40K car.

It is a bit much for that price. You figure out the door w/ options its up over 40k. There are a lot of other well equipped machines for that much scratch.

I think they should replace the B with a Leggy STi and have it come in at around the same price point (maybe a tad more is understandable, 35-38k) with those specs listed. I'd def trade my B in for one of those depending on the design.

And please for the love of god, at least OFFER a HID option.

Nope.

No dealer in my market knows how to take care of buyers of $30k cars, much less an STI Legacy.

Sorry. Until SOA makes dealers have stand alone franchises, I'm not buying anything from them. Again. If I want to deal with dealers that have a Hyundai mentality, I will buy a freaking Accent.

Samir, are you listening? Pass it on.

-- Steve

Sounds nice, but I'm not prepared to pay $40k for a car - any car - at this point of my life. I'm just about to pay off the LGT (early) and am looking forward to having NO CAR PAYMENTS for at least a couple of years now. I'm finding that I'm at a point where I prefer spending less money on cars and more on my house.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

For that much more money I would def. buy a Audi. I don't believe Subaru has a well enough name yet to produce such an expensive car, even though the performance on the cars are the best around.

It's worth pointing out to you guys that the MY07 Liberty Tuned by STI I bought here in Australia was imported by Subaru Australia in Spec B form. Subaru then tuned the suspension, exhaust, ecu to suit Australian conditions which are way different to those in Japan or USA.

I don't understand why Subaru of America can't do the same thing with your Spec B's?

Couldn't resist this :cool:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j60/Aussiedave_2006/MY07%20Liberty%20GTB%20STI/P1010044.jpg

Archived