LegacyGT.com

Rim Damage

SpecBee

I ran over a 4X4 on the highway entry ramp going 60+ and blew out my front tire and bent both front and back rims. Attached is a picture of the front Rim. The back is not as bad. Would anyone know if this thing is repairable? I live in Maryland. The Stealer ship wants $370 for a new rim. The back tire has a big bubble where I hit the 4X4. So I will have to replace both tires and rims. I've had the car for a month to this day. Karma? Dunno. This really sucks. I'm tempted to get a new set from tire rack and use one of the good one for a spare. Any thoughts?

Rim1.thumb.jpg.73ec808dce4283b4514e98fb108249ae.jpg

yea, it was a 5 foot long 4X4 not 2X4 piece of lumber. They are 2008 Spec B rims. I would prefer to get them repaired if possible due to the cost. Does anyone know if I could buy direct from the supplier not through the stealership? I could not make out the logo on the rim maybe JML? Not sure. I have the tire pressure monitoring system as well. Back to driving my truck.

I ran over a 4X4 on the highway entry ramp going 60+ and blew out my front tire and bent both front and back rims. Attached is a picture of the front Rim. The back is not as bad. Would anyone know if this thing is repairable? I live in Maryland. The Stealer ship wants $370 for a new rim. The back tire has a big bubble where I hit the 4X4. So I will have to replace both tires and rims. I've had the car for a month to this day. Karma? Dunno. This really sucks. I'm tempted to get a new set from tire rack and use one of the good one for a spare. Any thoughts?

Yes it's repairable.

Ye Ole Wheel & Welding Shop Inc

6363 Washington Boulevard

Elkridge, MD 21075

410-796-8400

Go there. I've had rims repaired there and the work is good.

Ehh... I wouldn't trust the repair even if it's visually undetectable which most good repairs are. It's just never the same again strength-wise even if the balance is on and the roundness is trued. I'm a former mechanical engineer. Yes, you can get by on the repaired rims and likely never notice anything unusual. But deforming metal and deforming it back fatigue's the piece sometimes changing it's structure. "some" strength and durability will be lost.

BTW, you need to replace all your tires not just two (see the owner's manual) unless the tread wear and diameter are all almost exactly the same or your risk damaging the 4wd system. A good tire place can measure for you.

Sucks. I had the same problem (right front sidewall blowout) after 5K miles on my Shrek and had to replace all four. If I had your rim damage, I'd just suck it up and buy brand new rims and tires. Damn, the 19" thread cars look so sweet.

Sorry man. :(

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

Not even going to go there with the insurance claim, I have both car and home owners through the same company and after a few lightining strikes to the house and an auto broken into and acouple of accidents (over the last 10 yrs) I would be dropped if i claimed this repair. I will have to call the wheel repair shop. I did hear from a friend that Trick Trucks will repair rims as well. As far as the 4wd system I only have 3K on the current tires.

Not even going to go there with the insurance claim, I have both car and home owners through the same company and after a few lightining strikes to the house and an auto broken into and acouple of accidents (over the last 10 yrs) I would be dropped if i claimed this repair. I will have to call the wheel repair shop. I did hear from a friend that Trick Trucks will repair rims as well. As far as the 4wd system I only have 3K on the current tires.

I hear you man. And again, I had the same thoughts and about the same mileage when it happened. I would recommend measuring them anyway.

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

Holy apcray! That must have been a bit hairy and scary. I narrowly avoided a 4x4 long ago in a Chevette. My heart rate went to about 200 bpm.

Is it only bent on the inside of the rim, or did both inside and outside get it?

I wouldn't trust a forged wheel to be bent back out again then bet my life on it. But that's me. For the price of the OEM wheels, I'd look up SubyDude and replace them with a less expensive set of Rota's.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

Yea, it's only the inside of the rim, they are currently being repaired for $300 bucks. I will provide more details once I pick them up and pay another $500 for new tires. I noticed my rear bump stop took a hit and bent the under body and paint is flaking off. I will probably have to get a full front and rear alinement when all is said and done. This still sucks! :spin:

you need to replace all 4 tires. If you get 2 of the tires with a new tread sitting high and 2 of the tires with a used tread sitting low, you will definately damage your all wheel drive system

I only have 2-3K on the current tires. If I have the repair shop measure the tire circumference and the difference is undetectable or a few millimeters would that constitute replacement of all 4 tires? What are the tolerances for a AWD system?

Im in a catch 22 situation. Everyplace that I have called for the 215/45R18 Bridgetone RE050's stated they would have to special order the tires. So the only way to know if I need 4 instead of 2 is a measurement if the new on rim with same pressure as the old. It takes 2-4 days for the tires to arrive. Below is the sizing info from Tirerack.

Size

Service Description

Load RatingUTQGMax

LoadMax.

Inflation

Press.Tread

DepthTire

WeightRim

Width

RangeMeas.

Rim

WidthSect.

WidthTread

WidthOverall

Diam.Revs

Per

Mile215/45 ZR18

89Y SL 140 A A

1279 lbs.

51 psi

10/32"

24 lbs.7-8"

7"

8.5"

7.7"

25.7"

Would a 225/45 R18 fit with no rubbing? It seems to be a more popular size but then the spare would be a different size. This still sucks!:spin:

Well I got the rims back today. They look ok. I ordered tires for $255 a pop and will get a front end alignment. I will measure the new vs. old tires before mounting. I Included a pic of the rear bump stop and frame where the paint is flaking off of the underbody. Guess I should coat it with something before the rust sets in.

Repair.jpg.801c3dbb6416f9a8b485375bdd9da9ab.jpg

Rims.jpg.bb9ad2ffcbb69b5691ea0b9c2b7e3981.jpg

Bumpstop.jpg.d9868a20e3ca83491525a309612872e4.jpg

Archived