LegacyGT.com

awd and rwd?

so guys, its 2am and I should been asleep hours ago for work at 4am buuut i decided itd be way more fun to start work on the second lgt in the driveway, anyways, my front cv shafts are shot and i was debating on just removing them because its now the project/hopefully svx swap/pipe dream car and i like to experiment. anyways..coming from a toyota 4x4 background i did alot of work with the front IFS stuff and lockouts and what not and it got me to thinking..is there or has there been anyone to try and make what would basically by a lockout hub for the subaru awd system? maybe cutting the cvshaft in half, cutting a keyway in both halfs and making some sort of dis/engageable coupler to go between the two? My mind tends to wander on these long nights and figured id see if anyone else has tried venturing down this road?

1st: the rear axles are not meant to hold 100% power so those are going to break

then can the center diff really hold/send 100% power to the rear wheels - idk what type of center diff is in your car, theres the viscous on and geared ones..... fwd bias ones are viscous thingy

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

im either gonna weld the center diff or like the thread i just posted said find one outta an old datsun or 300zx, that way i wont have any problems with it, granted that may delete the awd depending on the gear ratio but i could still make it possible to have a fwd or rwd car if I decided to go with a 4eat( stupid idea but its whats in the car right now, but they originally kept the svx power ok with a tranny cooler so maybe it would be the way to go..). Like i said as well, this is my project/play around car, not my DD, so im not worried about that side of things. Parts come real easy for me on these seeing as how I work at an autoparts store and know one of the subaru techs in the area pretty well. And I know theres a video of a guy on here somewhere I cant find right now that turned his 2nd gen into a drift car by basically removing the front have shaft minus the spindle that holds the bearring together and welded the rear diff.

im not trying to make a rwd subaru,I guess to a point, but im talking about full selectivity between fwd, rwd, and awd, depending on your driving situation.

What are these driving situations you are referring to that would require the selectivity?

awd for winter, dirt, handling, fwd for gas mileage? or just cause, and rwd for handling, playing around in the snow and mud, never really put tons of thought into the different driving conditions more about how to possibly make it work lol.

Archived