LegacyGT.com

Waxes That Don't Attract Dust ?

I don't know if I am just unlucky, but it seems I always end up buying a wax that attracts dust after just 1 day or 2 after waxing. You can visibly see a coat of dust on it. This is not very fun.

What kind of wax should I use to prevent this ? Currently I am using Meguiars Gold Class. I find it very good, with a deep shine and finish and it is easy to use but it does not seem to repulse dust very efficiently.

The problem with products that leave you that deep shine is that they use oils to do it. Those oils are dust magnets. Gold Class is pretty bad at it. Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze and 3M Hand Glaze are probably the worst. Those glazes are practicaly nothing but oils.

If you are looking for a good looking wax that doesn't have the dust attraction issues, then I can definitely suggest S100 paste wax. The only place you are going to find it locally is at a Harley Davidson dealership usually. Sometimes other bike shops will carry it, but its a regular at most Harley shops. This stuff is really incredible wax. It should run you about $15 a jar, but that jar is going to last you for a couple years even if you are waxing on a weekly basis.

Another good product off the shellf that doesn't attract much dust is Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax. Its not a carnauba and it doesn't have the oils that some carnauba waxes have that attract the dust. NXT is a synthetic that will even help clean up some of the swirls on your paint. I haven't tried the paste version yet, but I have been really happy with the liquid kind. If I had to choose between Gold Class and NXT then I'd go for the NXT pretty quick. I used to love Gold Class too. It was long held as one of the best liquid waxes you can get off the shelf. It still is great, but with some of these synthetics coming out and being sold off the shelf, they have given Gold Class a run for its money. NXT is still a Meguiar's product, so the quality you expect from them is still there.

Hopefully those suggestions help. This article on OCDetails.com has other 'off the shelf' product suggestions that I have found to work very well.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

The problem with products that leave you that deep shine is that they use oils to do it. Those oils are dust magnets. Gold Class is pretty bad at it. Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze and 3M Hand Glaze are probably the worst. Those glazes are practicaly nothing but oils.

If you are looking for a good looking wax that doesn't have the dust attraction issues, then I can definitely suggest S100 paste wax. The only place you are going to find it locally is at a Harley Davidson dealership usually. Sometimes other bike shops will carry it, but its a regular at most Harley shops. This stuff is really incredible wax. It should run you about $15 a jar, but that jar is going to last you for a couple years even if you are waxing on a weekly basis.

Another good product off the shellf that doesn't attract much dust is Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax. Its not a carnauba and it doesn't have the oils that some carnauba waxes have that attract the dust. NXT is a synthetic that will even help clean up some of the swirls on your paint. I haven't tried the paste version yet, but I have been really happy with the liquid kind. If I had to choose between Gold Class and NXT then I'd go for the NXT pretty quick. I used to love Gold Class too. It was long held as one of the best liquid waxes you can get off the shelf. It still is great, but with some of these synthetics coming out and being sold off the shelf, they have given Gold Class a run for its money. NXT is still a Meguiar's product, so the quality you expect from them is still there.

Hopefully those suggestions help. This article on OCDetails.com has other 'off the shelf' product suggestions that I have found to work very well.

Thanks for those tips. I didn't know oil-based waxes are dust magnets. I'll certainly check around for these 2 products !

Its not that they are oil based, per se. Its because carnauba is hard as a rock in its natural form. In order to refine it into something that we can use on our cars they have to add solvents and oils. The oils are sometimes natural and sometimes added. The more additives in the wax = the more oils that you will get on the surface. Its the oil that gives you that deep wet look that you are looking for. A better way to achieve that look without the risk of dust attraction is to use a synthetic sealant that doesn't need oils to look like that. Wolfgang is a polymer sealant that looks better than just about any wax I've ever used and lasts longer than them too. You won't find it locally, but we do have a vendor on the board who offers a discount. Look in the vendor forum for premiumautocare's post. It has a link in it where we can get 10% off.

OCDETAILS BLOG

The car duster is nice, but just remember that its a 'duster' and not a 'mop'. Don't drag the whole thing across the car. Just the tips of the threads are needed. You can swirl the crap out of your car with any tool if you don't use it properly and the California Car Duster is no different. Personally I wouldn't go near one, but that's because I'm stupid and I use it wrong. I'd rather wash my car than risk adding swirls the paint. That's just me though. Its a good tool that works well at getting the dust off.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Get a silver car :p

Indeed.

Silver never looks very dirty or dusty, but it never looks very clean either, or at least as shiny and reflective as dark colors can.

So I'll keep my red garnet pearl and continue to clean and wax the thing will elbow grease :D

One problem i have is my parking garage at work is downdraft of a baseball field so on a windy day i find my car has a nice coat of brown dust.. WHEEE
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Indeed.

Silver never looks very dirty or dusty, but it never looks very clean either, or at least as shiny and reflective as dark colors can. Unless you wax it, that is.

So I'll keep my red garnet pearl and continue to clean and wax the thing like there is no tomorrow :D

Also, Silver doesn't absorb as much heat in the summer.

so true! :lol:

This Space For Rent

Archived