LegacyGT.com

05 LGT purchase questions Manual or Automatic?

Hi I am ready to buy an '05 LGT Wagon and have a couple of questions:

1. Manual or Automatic? I live in the city and expect to do 2/3 city driving but if the performance is much better would like to cosider the manual. Any reviews of the experience of these two transmission types?

2. This may sound silly but is there a modification available for an ipod adaptor? How difficult is it to replace the sterio with an aftermarket system?

Thanks,

-T

Hi I am ready to buy an '05 LGT Wagon and have a couple of questions:

1. Manual or Automatic? I live in the city and expect to do 2/3 city driving but if the performance is much better would like to cosider the manual. Any reviews of the experience of these two transmission types?

2. This may sound silly but is there a modification available for an ipod adaptor? How difficult is it to replace the sterio with an aftermarket system?

Thanks,

-T

Welcome

1. yes. you can check the 1320 threads the manual is about .5 sec faster in the 1/4 mi. When I drove both before I bought my '05 5mt LGT wagon. I thought the auto was very smooth but, felt alittle slugish. They only had 5mt outbacks at the dealer I went to. I really liked how it felt. I drove 120mi and traded in my '04 WRX 5mt wagon to get a '05 LGT wagon with a stick.

2 yes It's called the "jazzy mod" it works great just do a search for it.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

He asked about the performance of an auto v. stick. It's been shown that the stick is faster.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

If you haven't driven a manual for long periods - you don't know that a stick will completely change the driving experience. No longer are you "riding" in the car - you are the car. You become an extension as you are directly linked to the engine, the transmission, and the wheels. Add in the song of a Hogzaust on a manual with the rise and fall of the shift RPM's, and it's erethral.
I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

If you drive in the city Auto all the way. Traffic sucks even more with a stick. To add, my stage II 5EAT is plenty fast without all the clutch stink. However if you want a psuedo-sports car get the stick.

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

Auto's are faster. Manual's suck. Buy an automatic and be happy. :D

I'm rubber and your glue......:lol:

MT all the way.

DD/traffic is a sorry excuse.

This is a freaking turbo car, and while minimal it has a lag. You want to be REALLY in control where you are in rpm.

Turbo + AT.... sure, it can be fast. Most of the time.

Sport shift works well. Istill dont consider the Legacy a sports car. If we were talking about the WRX I would say YES stick. The potential is much greater. Ponder this, how many 05+ Legacys do you see on a rally course?

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

Manuals and the city...not for me

Manual and the average driver vs Automatic/Sport and the average driver...too close to call but the auto is consistant, whereas the manual...just miss a shift and tell me the answer.

But it's all opinions, get what you want.

Auto...how the hell do you expect to eat or talk on the celly while driving a stick? :icon_wink

That is the biggest con to a stick. You really have to think about what you can eat while driving:icon_wink

Honestly, I drove both, and personally IMHO, the auto wasn't any fun. I mean it's smooth and economical, but it took all of the fun out of it. The "sport shifting" isn't anything to hoot and holler about. But, to each his own.
Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

I drove my first 4000 miles 80 percent city driving. I own a manual and traffic can be really really bad in Montreal. I would still go for the manual. Its just more fun and you feel more in control. Plus after learning how to heal-toe downshift, I wouldnt be able to live with an AUTO.

+ 1. I agree entirely. I mean, it all depends on preference. My sister owns an 06 Mazda MX-5 Auto (but they have paddle shifting), and honestly, her car is MORE FUN to drive with the paddles than a manual was in the same car. But, it all depends on the car. I think that when it comes to LGT's, manual is the way to go. Auto is economical, but why buy the GT then? Might as well get an LL Bean Outback...
Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

Archived