Turbo failure wiki

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This information is very good. I am putting my 06 Spec B on a traailer tomorrow to get it back home. The car barely made it to the dealer they wanted $2100 to replace the turbo and could not tell me if the engine was toast only to say if metal flackes were in the oilpan I would need a new engine.

• 3 weeks later...
Is there anywhere else besides the banjo filter that the oil line may get plugged up at?

There's at least one other banjo bolt with a filter but I don't know if this would starve the turbo for oil if it gets plugged. With my recent experience with an over advance CEL I'm wondering if a failed OCV could also result in a failed turbo. Other's more knowledgeable than I will have to confirm or deny these possibilities but I thought it would give you something to research in the mean time.

Thanks. After a quick search of the forums, it doesn't seem like a failed ocv will result in a failed turbo... Anyone more knowledgable is welcome to comment. I recently had my turbo go out and have been doing as much research as possible to make sure it doesn't happen again. I have a cel code, which I still haven't pulled, and a broken shaft in my turbo, and 133k on my car... I've replaced the banjo filter on the passenger side and am trying to figure out what else I should check/replace before fitting my new turbo.

My Turbo just went and is at the shop today to pull the oil pan. From what I can find out it is 50/50 on weather the motor is severly damaged. Most agree that replaced turbos for some reason only last a year. Some people suggest replacing the oil cooler

Maybe this is a good place to post this question. I accessed my turbo yesterday. There is almost no play side-to-side but in/out it moves over 1/16." Based on the new turbo I have ready to go in there shouldn't be any play in either direction. Is one type of play worse than the other and if so which? How close was my turbo to failure or might it have gone on quite a while longer? Obviously I understand that there's no way to know for sure but general knowledge and guesses are welcome.

My Turbo just went and is at the shop today to pull the oil pan. From what I can find out it is 50/50 on weather the motor is severly damaged. Most agree that replaced turbos for some reason only last a year. Some people suggest replacing the oil cooler

Failed turbos (those with failed internals) may increase the incidence of failed motor internals. But not all replaced turbos last just a year.

Over three years ago, I replaced my VF40 with a used (~10K) VF46 because the WGAA bushing seized. That was at 82k. VF46 has been happily perking along for the past 55K with no issues. And I've never touched my banjo bolt filters - either to inspect or to replace since the car was new.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

So last week I joined the band wagon and had my oe VF40 grenade on me. As far as I know it was the original, I am the second owner purchased with 110K, previous owner had all maintanence records and it was at the dealer every 4k. I have also been on top of my maintanence every 4k. I am currently at 136K when it let go. I have decided to go with the vf52, will the replacing my oil cooler, dropping the pan to clean out any foreign material than can be seen, and getting the IP&T oil line kit. I then will be running a lot of oil through the engine and doing an engine oil flush. I hope it all goes well, and wish me luck that the engine will be ok.

Mine just let go coming home from a 450 mile business trip. 5 miles from home cruising at ~70 mph started losing power.

I was always good about checking oil and changing it. Never drove exceedingly hard. Thought I was good and one of the lucky ones because I had ~178k on it. Nope.

I should of done a BNR 16g and oil lines as preventative a while ago. Would have been a whole lot less money than having the shop fix it.

Wish I had the time and another car and the tools to replace the turbo myself. I don't even want to say how much the shop quoted me...

Edited by Catalyst
"This is an adventure."

Be careful and check the oil feed lines and for damage to the engine. I have researched this problem throughly, if the car sounded like a bag of chips or marbles in a can, from what I understand the shaft broke and sent metal chips into the oil pan. I am getting the engine rebuilt for $5K on my 06 Spec B with 155K. I think the problem was the engine de-gunk treatment I had the Subaru dealer do at around 130K.

$2500 for diagnose, new turbo, new banjo filter, new intake (they said it needed it for some reason, but I trust them), engine flush, warranty, and rental car.

It's alot. But I didn't have the time or another car to use or a garage with tools. Makes me mad cause I know I could have gotten a better turbo (16g) with upgraded oil lines for easily half the cost. But, I'm not a mechanic and dont trust myself 100% with the install anyways. Plus, no warranty. :/

"This is an adventure."

Be careful and check the oil feed lines and for damage to the engine. I have researched this problem throughly, if the car sounded like a bag of chips or marbles in a can, from what I understand the shaft broke and sent metal chips into the oil pan. I am getting the engine rebuilt for $5K on my 06 Spec B with 155K. I think the problem was the engine de-gunk treatment I had the Subaru dealer do at around 130K.

Yea, no marbles for me. Sounded like a vacuum leak or something whirling. No boost and no power.

"This is an adventure."

$2500 for diagnose, new turbo, new banjo filter, new intake (they said it needed it for some reason, but I trust them), engine flush, warranty, and rental car.

It's alot. But I didn't have the time or another car to use or a garage with tools. Makes me mad cause I know I could have gotten a better turbo (16g) with upgraded oil lines for easily half the cost. /

I just finished doing mine. Had over-advance CEL's and dealer wanted $1,000 +/- $200 depending on if they could replace the banjo bolt w/o removing the turbo. That was for 2 new OCV's and replacement of the d/s AVCS filtered banjo and the turbo banjo. I didn't want to put this on a CC and didn't have the money so tore into it since I had the IP&T oil line sitting in a drawer.

I was so close to the turbo I decided I better drop the DP and check it and it was bad enough that I decided it was time to install the 16g and the STi UP that have been on my shelf for 2 years.

Hope it makes you feel better, it took me about 6 partial days to finally get it all back together and then messing around with the results of a coolant leak and forgetting to fully tighten the fittings onto the new in-line oil filter. I figured I saved +/- $2k and you've confirmed that.

Blew my turbo about a month ago. A friend of mine borrowed me a (very) used vf40 he had laying around and I blew that one before I got the car back to my house. The oil drain hose got pinched while putting in the second one and we didn't notice.

I'm getting pretty good at swapping these out. Its really not that hard.

On with the question. These 2 turbos are both shot. Exhaust turbines completely broken from the shaft. Can I replace the entire CHRA myself? Some places say they are already balanced http://www.xsboostturbochargers.com/products/subaru-legacy-gt-2005-2009-ihi-vf40-chra/

A complete CHRA should already be balanced. That's the whole point of buying a cartridge vs. parts.

No idea if this supplier is legit but I can tell you IHI doesn't sell spares or parts or anything smaller than a complete turbo.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• 1 month later...
Added info on ZAGE bolt-up replacement turbos.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• 2 weeks later...
My 05 LGT Turbo is destroyed looks like the internals went thru a blender shaft broke . So I bought a used outback for $2200 as a second car to give me time to do it right . New vf40,Perrin bov,Perrin turbo inlet,aem cold intake new oiline kit from Turbokits.com . So I'm almost done but my setback is the oil kit I received is a stock Oem replacement with the banjo on the turbo being a 1/16" orifice ? Does anybody know if this orifice is so small to control volume and prevent excess oil or oil pressure to the turbo?? Or does the 11mm oil pump setup require this for proper oil flow in overall, in a sense not create a sever pressure drop elsewhere? I can make my own oil lines just don't want to blow out the seals I guess ,is this a concern ? Someone please help with this oil pressure specifics .

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Hey there. I have a 2005 outback xt 5mt with 102xxx miles with the original turbo and no mods. It has recently developed a weird sound that I suspect is in the turbo/exhaust system. At 45 or 50 mph it sounds as if the rpms are at about 5k when in reality the tach says 2-3k. Almost seems like the turbo is spinning faster than it should be or something. What suggestions do you guys have to look for? Last oil change I did not notice any particles or anything in the oil, although I wasn't looking for anything. I did recently take the inter cooler off and bottom corner near the turbo had some oil on it. It looked like the o-ring between them was leaking. Things to look for/suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...
Plz help guys I think I caused some damage just by not changing my oil in time.. I noticed p0011 and p0021 codes and was going to change oil and clean ocvs, but was coming up the mountain and got a couple shreiks from turbo stopped and noticed smoke coming from oil fill when I took the cap off.. Anyway I cleaned the ocv flushed the system and changed oil all codes are gone seems to be running ok but notice a burning plastic smell, along with the smoke in oil fill. Do you think my turbo is gone or just on its way out? Would buy a new one in the spring if I can hold out, no idea if I damaged my engine.. Thamx

• 2 months later...
looking for some advice.. I blew my turbo and would like to upgrade as I replace it but my car 05 LGT has 115,00 on it. Is it advisable considering the mileage or am I asking for trouble. I was looking at a BNR 16G or 18G. I am currently stage 1 with the exception of a 5EAT "Climber D" valve body mod