LegacyGT.com

Valve shims

so when the lobe is 180 from the shim?

and what's an easy way to tell if your valves are properly seated? someone told me to put rubbing alcohol in the dome with the valves and spark plug and fill it, and if the alcohol doesn't leak out then they're sealed. does that seem right? i did this and the alcohol seemed to still be at the same level and i checked today but the alcohol all seeped through somewhere, but i also kept the alochol in there for a day straight, so i'm gonna guess that it's gonna leak through after that much time no matter what right?

I just made sure the lobe was 180 from the valve and measured. Then rotated the cam a time or 2 and checked again. Its kinda of tricky to measure the thickness of the current shims though to see what new sizes you need. I probably just needed a better gauge cause I ordered a bunch of shims and a lot of them were not correct. The book should explain the process.

well sweet thanks you guys, i think i got what i needed. still unsure about the valve seating thing though.

Not quite sure what you mean why wouldnt the valve be seating unless there was a bunch of carbon or something in the way.

well i'm just double checking through everything because i had rebuilt the engine but was in a huge hurry so i overlooked a lot of the small key things and ended up running off of 3 cylinders. so now that i've got it back apart i'm gonna make sure and do it right. i had little to no compression in cylinder 3 but i had swapped the B piston that was meant to be in cylinder 4 with an A piston from cylinder 2.

Archived