LegacyGT.com

by pass filter????

So i was talking cars with a few guys tonight and one of them mentioned some place he had run across. Its http://www.bypassfilters.com I kind of scanned over it a bit, but i dont know enough about what they are speaking of to know if this is total BS or if its legit and worth looking into. Just thought i would post it up and see what others thoughts and opinions on it were. Hope some enjoy this.

Ok, so a preview of what it is to maybe help those who are too lazy to go read. Basically, you never have to change your OIL again. the most you supposedly have to do is top it off as you burn it off.And you use toilet paper as a filter, which we would "roughly" have to change every 4,000 miles since we fall into the 4 cyl category. Does this help spark anyones interest now?

go for it...lol...i dont even really know what it is, other than a toilet paper filter for your oil. I was hoping others with knowledge might be able to enlighten me on this matter. Even if its BS and obscenely outlandish, i would like to know why so i may consider myself educated on the matter. I just find the whole thing interesting, but something about NEVER changing your oil again and using TP for a filter seems crazy, but telling people 90 years ago how we would one day use hybrid cars would have sounded just as crazy.

I expect your research paper completed and in my inbox by monday young man :).

AMSOILoffers a double by pass filter set-up.but the filters aint made out of toilet paper. they are nanotech synthetic filters. basically to make a long story short,you use 2 oil filters.an adapter is used at your original location then your filter,then you mount a remote filter away from that one,some put it in the trunk,some under the hood if they have room. it can filter a 8 quart sump oil pan in 25 minutes of normal driving. your oil is filtered twice. it gives you the equivalent of a oil change every 25 minutes of driving.:spin:

so am i wrong in assuming under normal driving conditions oil will break down after X amount of miles under Y driving conditions? I know we change it for dirt and other contaminants, but i was also under the impression oil simply breaks down during usage.

one of my buddies has a TDI gulf, and got one of these bypass filters. He still changes his oil at regular intervals, but he says the oil comes out looking a shitload better that before he had the filter.

I've heard bypass filters can extend the life of oil, but not infinitely. Would you leave your oil in the crankcase forever, other than top off oil, if you had a bypass filter? Good luck with any warrantly claims...IMO it probably isn't worth the trouble. There's no reason our engines won't outlast the rest of the car with regular oil changes and sensible use.

That is not a real bypass filter. I have the Amsoil one on my truck and would on my car if I could find room. What a real one does, is have one full flow filter usually filtering around 30-40 microns. In addition on the line it has a bypass filter going down further, some down to 2 microns. It has a bypass line on it so as not to starve the engine. As he said, it take about 5 minutes to get all your oil through the bypass. So basically it is cleaning your oil down to a much smaller level. However, you still need to change it. I change my truck oil once a year. It is amsoil 0w-30 rated for 35k miles or one year. You better not leave the same oil in there forever and toilet paper is no filter.

That is not a real bypass filter. I have the Amsoil one on my truck and would on my car if I could find room. What a real one does, is have one full flow filter usually filtering around 30-40 microns. In addition on the line it has a bypass filter going down further, some down to 2 microns. It has a bypass line on it so as not to starve the engine. As he said, it take about 5 minutes to get all your oil through the bypass. So basically it is cleaning your oil down to a much smaller level. However, you still need to change it. I change my truck oil once a year. It is amsoil 0w-30 rated for 35k miles or one year. You better not leave the same oil in there forever and toilet paper is no filter.

Finally,someone who understands amsoil products and the benefits of the bypass filter set-up. i would put it on my car to if i could figure out how?!:spin:

Archived