LegacyGT.com

5EAT owners please chime in

XLeezardx

Ok, I have always had a 1 time tap or clunk sound every morning i start to drive off from my 5EAT. After I put it in "D" and drive off ill hear that noise just once and thats it. Does this everytime I start the car up and drive off. Anyone elses 5EAT do this?

^^pretty much. To be precise, the clunk or "tap" occurs 1 second after i drive off. It isnt very loud but its audible in the cabin with windows closed and the sound is coming from the transmission. Its not that click noise in the gear box when u brake.

No, I don't have it. Just :confused: as to what it could be since it happens after you're already moving forward.

I have avatars and signatures turned off for when I'm on the forums "not at home" ;) and it also makes it more efficient (less scrolling).

^^pretty much. To be precise, the clunk or "tap" occurs 1 second after i drive off. It isnt very loud but its audible in the cabin with windows closed and the sound is coming from the transmission. Its not that click noise in the gear box when u brake.

Well, I have the exact same thing....I think. I hear a quiet, yet audible "tick" a second or two after I drive away. I didn't think it was coming from the transmission though...albeit, I never paid much attention to it. I will listen closely when I leave work today and report back. I THINK it happens every time i drive away though.

Well, I have the exact same thing....I think. I hear a quiet, yet audible "tick" a second or two after I drive away. I didn't think it was coming from the transmission though...albeit, I never paid much attention to it. I will listen closely when I leave work today and report back. I THINK it happens every time i drive away though.

Yeah definetly roll your windows down and just drive off, youll hear it more especially if your in the alley way. Other than that, my car drives perfectly fine. Im just curious to know what that sound is. Only thing I have done to my 5EAT is the IPT Valve Body upgrade with Amsoil ATF.

Hold on man, im starting to suspect you trying to get on my bad side here. Please clarify what u mean by "farfetched", so I dont missunderstand.

Not that I worry about anybody's 'bad side' but by 'farfetched' I was referring to the only thing I could think of, and it was probably something not even remotely like what you were experiencing.

Understand? Semantics on the internet has a way...........

Not that I worry about anybody's 'bad side' but by 'farfetched' I was referring to the only thing I could think of, and it was probably something not even remotely like what you were experiencing.

Understand? Semantics on the internet has a way...........

Ohhhh ok :lol:, I thought you were trying to imply that im just hearing things. Yeah its definetly not the gear shift because i tested that by leaving it in 1st gear. If im getting the sound and your not, then something isnt right.

Ohhhh ok :lol:, I thought you were trying to imply that im just hearing things. Yeah its definetly not the gear shift because i tested that by leaving it in 1st gear. If im getting the sound and your not, then something isnt right.

You have done everything you can do to diagnose your noise. Apparently you are not the only one experiencing it either. My suggestion is to call John/IPT and discuss this with him. He never seemed offended by even the most direct reference to reported criticisms nor made me feel my call was unwelcome. He is direct and streightforward and if you give him your situation as you have here he should have an answer of some kind.

Why you talking shit about our Legacy GT?

Nothing about LGT. The 5eat transmission is made by Jatco (subsidiary of Nissan). Big supplier of slushboxes - made famous by failures of boxes in 2000-2004 Honda Odyssey, 2002+ Mazda MPV and likely some others. Just google "jatco failures".

I believe the 4-speed autos are pretty stout, maybe a reason why Subaru choose to keep putting them into WRX/FXT?

Archived